Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:08 pm   

zMUD 7.10 - annoying beep

When the command line is empty, and you push backspace you get an annoying 'beep' sound... and if you hold down backspace to clear the command line you get many annoying beep sounds.

Can we have peace and quiet in our typings again, especially for late night sessions and playing at work ;)
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:26 pm   

I kinda like the beep, It just seems like it screams at me "HEY you idiot theres nothing else to backspace"
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:53 pm   

Maybe I don't like my computer telling me I'm an idiot? :p

Besides, it's disruptive if you get a beep in the middle of your music ;)
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:35 am   

Shift+Home. Delete :P
Check out Talon, an easy IMC connection.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 am   

Actually, I usually use 'escape' if its a long sentence, or backspace if it's not...

Shift-home is too many keys to grab :p
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:21 am   

oooh escape! XD

i use shift-home cuz it works in more than one app :P
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:04 am   

shift-home still takes your hands off the important keys... you can get backspace and escape without moving from the home row (or 'typey-part-of-the-keyboard' if you prefer ;))... moving to 'home' is too big a jump ;)

also, shift-home is no good for multi-lines, that's when you need shift-control-home which requires three fingers and escape is preferable ;)

and escape doesn't beep annoyingly when the buffer is clear and there's nothing else to escape, bring back silent backspace! ;)
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:16 am   

you can press shift home then the up arrows until youve got it all XD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:48 am   

Unfortunately, I don't have any control over this anymore. In order to get spell checking, I had to replace the normal multiline edit control used in the command line with a RichEdit control. The Microsoft RichEdit control is notoriously buggy and has some annoying "features" like this, with no way to control them, or turn them off.

You'll also notice that selecting text in the command line makes the text have a black background instead of using the defined Highlight color in your Windows theme. Again, it's an issue with the RichEdit 1.0 control, which is what Delphi (and the spell checking component) are set up to use.

I could have used the RichView component that is used in zApp, but it is *so* huge that it would have added significantly to the bloat of zMUD and I didn't figure that these minor issues were important enough.

So, sorry if it doesn't work *exactly* as before. Such are the compromises of life.

(I always use ESC to clear the command line quickly myself)
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:12 am   

Boo! Oh well, maybe in zMUD 8.0 then :)
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:27 am   

Ok after a lot of testing I have determined that in MSVC++ .NET I managed to remove the beeping sound from the Rich Edit control. The solution was to handle the on_keydown event and tell the event handler not to send the event to the actual rich control in those cases that would trigger a beep. Perhaps there is something similar in Delphi?

Edit: If the above doesn't work you could take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/userex/subclassingcontrols.asp

Use these suggestions at your own risk though :-).
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:31 am   

it annoyed you THAT MUCH?!?! O_O
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:53 am   

Yeah I was going to suggest writing an onkeydown but I didn't want to put Zugg through the misery since 7.10 was a surprise version anyway and he needs to get on with emobius :)
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:29 am   

Rainchild I think Zugg released zMUD 7.10 for a reason. That is I would suspect sales has decreased even more so I think it is nice to make suggestions on how to make zMUD 7.10 fully successful. Remember that Zugg said that he wouldn't release a new version of zMUD until eMobious was done. So either he needed a break from eMobious or something else happened.
DeathDealer
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:45 pm   

wait, so with me being the king of typos, and needing to backspace at least 5 times for every sentance, i will now have a crap load of beeps?
Maybe Rorso's improvement should be implemented into a check box Zugg?
And spellcheck? yeah, sometimes u NEED to spell wrong. I hope THIS is an optional thing and can be turned off...
Haven't upgraded and looking like i won't.
If i want spell check i'd copy into word and let it run there :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:55 pm   

DeathDealer wrote:
wait, so with me being the king of typos, and needing to backspace at least 5 times for every sentance, i will now have a crap load of beeps?
Maybe Rorso's improvement should be implemented into a check box Zugg?
And spellcheck? yeah, sometimes u NEED to spell wrong. I hope THIS is an optional thing and can be turned off...
Haven't upgraded and looking like i won't.
If i want spell check i'd copy into word and let it run there :-)

The spellchecker only underlines the spelling errors. No dialogue pops up when you send text to the MUD. The spellchecker can be disabled.

The new rich-text command line has some odd behaviours though. The beeping is only one of them. Another issue is that the cursor doesn't behave like in 7.05 when you use the arrow-buttons on the keyboard. I have written a bug report about that in mantis. The cursor issue should be a really easy fix but the beeping might require a bit more work.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:49 pm   

Incase it's not in your report...

when you jump back a word at a time with CTRL-left/right then it stops in different places. It'll now separate most punctuation (so it'll think of # and TRIGGER as two separate things instead of #TRIGGER as one word).

Personally I like this for most things, as I would always jump too far before. It's different though, so might be a bug (or a feature?)

I'm guessing that's to do with the spellcheck too, in that zmud splits up words differently to perform the checking
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:52 pm   

Rorso, unfortunately I'll need to close your bug report in Mantis. I'm aware of the cursor issue but again, I haven't found any way to fix it. In the RichEdit control, when you try to make a selection, the cursor is always at the beginning of the selection instead of at the end like it used to be.

Unless you have some other idea on the RichEdit, it seems that the SelStart property is the same as the cursor location, and also the same as the *start* of the selection. If I attempt to set SelStart to the end of a selection to move the cursor, then the selection is cleared.

What I'm doing now is calling EM_SETSEL with length(Text),0 as the parameters, trying to set length(Text) as the start of the selection and select backwards from there. But this still doesn't seem to make the cursor work properly.

Once again, maybe I need to intercept the KeyDown event and check to see if there is a selection and then reset the cursor if there is, or something like that.

I already had to override the SelectAll routine since the RichEdit was adding an extra space at the end of the text to the selection, which was also annoying.

I'll try the KeyDown intercept to see if that fixed the bell. I've had bad luck trying to stop keys from going to the Windows control in the past, but I'll try it anyway.

In general, it's really too bad the RichEdit control is so buggy. I can use the newer RichEdit control in Delphi 7, but zMUD still only compiled in Delphi 5 because of the windows docking code that doesn't work in Delphi 7.

Oh, and Rorso, you are right on target regarding the release. That is why I am asking for donations in the 7.10 announcements. zMUD sales have dropped lower than I can handle and I needed to boost sales in order to keep everything going. So I'm really serious about that fact that sales of 7.10 will determine the fate of future zMUD versions.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:29 pm   

Zugg I'll see if I can make a code example how I solved the cursor issue soon(when I take a break from the game I am playing atm :P).
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:40 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Rorso, unfortunately I'll need to close your bug report in Mantis. I'm aware of the cursor issue but again, I haven't found any way to fix it. In the RichEdit control, when you try to make a selection, the cursor is always at the beginning of the selection instead of at the end like it used to be.

Ok I have played a lot with this so it is probably stuffed with bugs :P. Here is the psuedo code for the solution I found.

I noticed I had to store the cursor location in a global variable to be able to track everything.

Warning: The pseudo-code is probably filled with bugs, issues, slowdowns, ugly examples, and bad spelling. Use it at your own risk.

Code:

globalCursorStart: integer

proc richText_SelectionChanged

if richText.SelectionLength = 0 then
          globalCursorStart := richText.SelectionStart
   end if

end proc

proc richText_KeyDown

if shift or alt or control is down then
        exit procedure
   end if

selectStart := richText.SelectionStart
   cursorPos := 0

' Did we start selecting from the left end or right end?
   if selectStart = globalCursorStart then
        cursorPos := richText.SelectionStart + richText.SelectionLength
   else
        cursorPos := selectStart
   end if

if richText.SelectionLength > 0 and LeftArrow pressed then
        richText.SelectionLength := 0
        richText.SelectionStart := max(cursorPos, 0)
   end if
   if richText.SelectionLength > 0 and RightArrow pressed then
        richText.SelectionLength := 0
        richText.SelectionStart := min(cursorPos, richText.TextLength)
   end if

end proc

Known issue: If you press ctrl+a or do a select-all somehow else there is still an issue. The globalCursorStart needs to be set to richText.TextLength. However that cant be done in SelectionChanged() it seems because you might be manually selecting and then the cursor could be at the left end.

Quote:

Unless you have some other idea on the RichEdit, it seems that the SelStart property is the same as the cursor location, and also the same as the *start* of the selection. If I attempt to set SelStart to the end of a selection to move the cursor, then the selection is cleared.

I noticed this too. Really a mess because it seems as if the RichEdit control does store the selection location somewhere when selecting using the arrow keys and holding down shift.

Quote:

I'll try the KeyDown intercept to see if that fixed the bell. I've had bad luck trying to stop keys from going to the Windows control in the past, but I'll try it anyway.

The "solution" above to the cursor issue (not the beep one) allows further processing to be done by the control.

Quote:

In general, it's really too bad the RichEdit control is so buggy. I can use the newer RichEdit control in Delphi 7, but zMUD still only compiled in Delphi 5 because of the windows docking code that doesn't work in Delphi 7.

I fear that I am using the new richedit control. For me it seems to have the same issues as your old one though. I cant make it work as the old command line using any visible properties. What kind of magical RichEdit control do you have in Delphi 7? :)

Quote:

Oh, and Rorso, you are right on target regarding the release. That is why I am asking for donations in the 7.10 announcements. zMUD sales have dropped lower than I can handle and I needed to boost sales in order to keep everything going. So I'm really serious about that fact that sales of 7.10 will determine the fate of future zMUD versions.

I am hoping that the MUD community wont collapse together with zMUD. Joking a bit of course but for me zMUD is what makes MUD-playing fun. What I find too bad is that the MUD community doesn't nicely welcome new techniques like MXP. I thought that protocol would have been in most MUDs by now.

Without Zuggsoft and without zMUD I would probably stop playing MUDs. So I really hope things will change.

Edit: Fixed pseudo-code bug. How did that get there?
Edit 2: Fixed yet a pseudo-code bug.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:19 pm   

DeathDealer - the beep only happens when the box is already empty, it's not every time you push backspace. There is also a tick-box under 'command line preferences' which turns on and off the spellchecker. The spellchecker isn't that bad really, you can right click a word to add it or see suggestions to replace it with... I only wished it had some auto-correct features like if you type doens't it goes "ah hah, you meant to spell doesn't"... p'raps in a later version.
DeathDealer
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:23 am   Re: zMUD 7.10 - annoying beep

Rainchild wrote:
When the command line is empty, and you push backspace you get an annoying 'beep' sound... and if you hold down backspace to clear the command line you get many annoying beep sounds.
Might have helped if i had read the huge word above Embarassed
Sorry :-) but since i continued to read, and saw there are OTHER instances of the beeps, still think it should be toggled Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:59 am   

I'll be adding the Autocorrection feature to v7.11. And yes, it will be an option (and will actually be Off by default). The way Autocorrect works is that when you mispell a word, and then make a correction from the right-click menu, it remembers this mispelling. The next time you make the same mispelling, it automatically converts it to the word that you originally selected in the right-click menu.

The beep issued will be fixed in 7.11, so there isn't any toggle to worry about.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:25 am   

:D way to go Zugg!

Auto correct should work sweet :)

Btw, if the last word you typed is misspelled it doesn't underline it until you push 'space' (or 'shift-enter')... this means if you misspell the last word on the command line, it won't highlight the fact... is there a 'underline-delay' you could activate, eg after 1/2 second pause, underline the misspelled word? That being said, to me it's just cosmetic, I'm not too fussed if it gets fixed or not.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:18 am   

will there be an option to add words to its liabrary, that way it doesnt thing charectr names are typos
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: