Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ceroddick
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:12 pm   

Error initializing database engine

I have purchased 2 copies of Z-Mud. One for my laptop and one for my home pc. They both are coming up with the same error "Error initializing database engine" Both machines have the MDAC 2.8 and the JET package. Why am I getting this error? And why did it happen on both of my computers at the same time?

Thanks in advance for you help,
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:42 pm   

Try some of these steps
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=19355&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=mdac
ceroddick
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:18 pm   

Yes, I have MDAC 2.8 and installed the Jet software. This is happening on 2 different OS's. Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I find it EXTERMLY odd that this is a windows problem since it happen on both computers at the exact same time and every other program runs find on both machines. Including another application on the laptop that also requires MDAC. The other application that requires MDAC is not on my desktop. The only thing I haven’t tried is uninstalling and reinstalling the Zugg software. I do not want to do this because of the alias and scripts I have written. Could this have anything to do with the licensing company that Zmud uses?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:39 pm   

To quote Zugg from the topic Nexela referenced:
Quote:
When MDAC gets seriously messed up like this, sometimes the only way to fix it is to reinstall Windows, then re-run the Windows Updater and install all of the patches and updates again.

I'm not talking about reformatting your disk here...I just mean putting the WinXP CD in the drive and telling it to reinstall Windows into the same directory that you already have it installed. This shouldn't effect any of your installed applications. But it causes Windows to update all of it's files, and more importantly, all of it's registry entries.

In fact, when you have this kind of problem, you *don't* want to reformat and reinstall your applications. Since the problem was probably caused by some application overwriting a MDAC or Jet DLL file with a older version you don't want to reinstall the application and cause this to happen again.

Anyway, yeah, reinstalling Windows can take several hours, along with the updates and reinstalling SP2. But it's the cleanest and safest way to "fix" Windows when it gets all messed up like this.

I too find it odd that it happened to both OSes at the same time, but on the other hand the likely culprit is a program you recently installed that did not preform proper version checking. Have you recently installed anything other then zMud on both systems? If the answer is yes then that program is most likely the problem. If possible you should contact them and request that they not ship system components with their program. They also should provide links to update to the minimum version their software requires.

Once the MDAC/JET installation is corrupt your only options are to reinstall windows from a CD then update, modify the registry so that MS's updater will detect that updating is required (there is a topic somewhere around here that covers this method), wait until MS releases another new version.
ceroddick
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:01 am   

Nothing has been installed on either machine recently. I do not believe this to be an issue with MDAC. If it happened on 1 computer and not the other I could see. I could also see if I installed or removed some programs, but I have not installed or removed anything. I tried using it on my XP box it didn’t work said hmm... that’s weird. I logged on to my 2000 box and it was broken there also. Doesn’t make since that both computers have an OS issue with MDAC that just happen to fail at the exact same time. This has to be an issue with Z-Mud or an issue with your eLicense registration software (maybe some piracy check and seen me with 2 registered to the same name… although I did buy both copies and can provide you with receipts) or an update from Microsoft that stopped your program from working correctly (However, if that was the case I am sure you would being hearing from more people then just me). Reinstalling the OS on either computer is not an option.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:30 am   

Your best bet would prolly be to just reinstall the OS to the same dir without formating.
ceroddick
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:07 am   

It is not an OS issue. If that is the only solution you can provide me with please give me a refund on the 2 copies I purchased.
Vorax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:11 am   

ceroddick wrote:
The only thing I haven’t tried is uninstalling and reinstalling the Zugg software. I do not want to do this because of the alias and scripts I have written.

You can save your settings, copy or move them to another folder for safe keeping, uninstall and reinstall zmud without having to worry about losing your settings/scripts/aliases/ect. You should try that next.
ceroddick
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:01 am   

I have uninstalled and reinstalled your applications and it still doesnt work. Any other suggestions?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:26 am   

Yes, one final suggestion. Use the Email link in the Contact Us menu at the top of the page to request assistance from Zuggsoft.

None of the people who answered, including myself, are Zuggsoft employees. We are simply knowledgeable fellow users doing our best to assist you. Our answers are not official and are no basis for requesting a refund. However, I do believe zMUD comes with a 30-day moneyback guarantee, so if you haven't already exceeded that period you can probably get one by asking.

Follow the directions found in the eLicense FAQ, question 7.

Most scripts in this forum are written for Command Line entry.
Don't even open the Settings Editor unless its use is specified or obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: