Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
isop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:10 am   

Help with string list variables

Hello all, I was hoping someone could give me some general help with string lists, and their usage. I have simplified my problem, as the triggers are quite complicated, but I have each of the elements working properly, and just need to make them work together using string list instead of having individual variables.

I have a string list which is used in a number of areas

First, lets say the variable is "list"
So, I have a few commands which make the list be orc|goblin|dog
These commands work properly, so far.
Now, I want to be able to use this list in a few ways.

(1)
First, I would like to be able to use it in general command lists... for example, I want to send a command to the mud directly, such as

kill orc

I want to do this by using my list, though, so I thought it would look like
kill %item(@list,1)

When I do this as a #SHOW, it returns the proper output "kill orc", but it doesn't when I send the command direct to the mud. All I see is the full command, with the %item in it. What do I need to do to get my command line to properly expand this statement?

(2)

I then, have another command, which will make the second half of the %item function change. I have set up a variable, @listno, which changes properly based off another trigger.

I want to take the list information, and make it an alias... so as @listno changes, the alias will change.

What I have tried to do, unsuccesfully, is
#alias killlist {kill %item(@list,@listno)}

This does not seem to do very much, as yet, but I have a funny feeling once I figure out (1) I will be in better shape here. I have seen a few areas where expansion does not seem to work properly within an alias or trigger before, so I figured I would insert it here.

(3)

I also want to be able to use this item in a few triggers... one which uses the #until command

It looks something like this
#Var listno 1
#Until @listno=%numitems(@list) {kill %item(@list,@listno);#add listno 1}
IF @listno=%numitems(@list) {pat dog}

As you can see, I may also be needing some help with the #until command, but it appears the trigger I have is all parsed properly, all I need is to better understand the variable expansion section of string lists, and proper usage. I only put this here so you can see the concept I am fully going for.

Any and all help is appreciated... I am sure there is something simple I am missing! If a guru can think of a more effective way to do this, please feel free to give the suggestion! I am really just trying to work out all of the powers of Zmud, and their practical applications (well, as practical as mudding can be!)

Isop
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:39 pm   

1. You need to force expansion with <> make sure in your view-prefrences-script parser that 'allow <> for expansion' is checked
EXAMPLE: kill <%item(@list,1)>
NOTE Only use this for things YOU enter into the command line not in a script.

2. #alias killlist {kill %item(@list,@listno)} should work as intented check your prefrences again and make sure that 'Expand Vars' is Unchecked

3. Should work as is but I don't really use While or Until so.... however surround your expression pattern with ()'s #UNTIL (@listno=%numitem(@list)) {etc etc etc}
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: