Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:47 pm   

zone names, session-tabbing, and database issues

I am hoping to get a couple of quick questions answered prior to my trial period expiring. These are things I have noticed that I would ideally like to have a work-around for before paying to register my copy of zmud.

First, in the automapper, I have found that once I have created a new zone, I cannot easily rename it. I can select the Rename option, and it will bring up what looks to be the name of the current zone, but when I enter a new name, the new name gets applied to one of the adjacent zones. This is not ideal.

Second, is there a way to configure zmud to simplify "tabbing" or otherwise hotkeying between just the character screens? I like to have the database and the mapper open at all times, but ctrl+tab makes me step through each of these 'extraneous' screens each time I want to switch between characters. (I may just have answered my own question (hotkeys), but I'm interested in any other solutions to this problem.)

Last, is there a way to modify the layout of a database data entry screen to something other than simply a top-down listing of all the fields?

Thanks.

Tye
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:04 pm   

Quote:
Last, is there a way to modify the layout of a database data entry screen to something other than simply a top-down listing of all the fields?

Nope but it would be nice :P

Quote:
Second, is there a way to configure zmud to simplify "tabbing" or otherwise hotkeying between just the character screens?

CTRL-n but that steps through child windows too though Alternitvly you could Dock/Tab the DB or Mapper and CTRL-Tab will skip them. off the top of my head I can't think of any other ways

Quote:
First, in the automapper, I have found that once I have created a new zone, I cannot easily rename it.

I think this a bug that has been reported I am not sure of the details as Ive never had it happen to me.
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:52 pm   

Good enough. Thank you.
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:09 pm   

Was just reviewing my topics, and figured I'd post the solution I'm using for the character tabbing.

I set up a macro key (F9 worked fine for me) for each character. All the macro does is switch the focus to another character by sending #(window_name). Basically the same approach as if I were going to send a command to the other session, but without specifying a command. Since I use the same key as the macro key in each session, I don't have to switch keystrokes to rapidly switch back and forth through the characters.

There's probably a better way to describe that. 'window_name' is just whatever appears in the top left-hand part of the session's window. Often this is just the name of the character, but I believe it can be configured to be just about anything.
Jazzles
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm   

QUOTE: First, in the automapper, I have found that once I have created a new zone, I cannot easily rename it.

Perhaps not the ideal solution, but why not create a new zone with the 'new name' you want then move the rooms to this newly named zone and delete the old one. Not great I admit but one way of getting round it.
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:04 pm   

I believe that's what I wound up doing. At the time, I think I was trying to get zone numbers to match up between the mud and the mapper, but I've gotten over the need for that. :)
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:25 am   

You can rename zones by right-clicking on them in the zones list and selecting rename, or from the Zone menu again select rename. I don't think it gets too much easier.
Jazzles
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:33 am   

I was under the impression from the original post that this renaming function wasn't working as it should - hence the alternative.
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:14 pm   

Correct, Jazzles. Thanks for the suggestion, Vijilante, but it is that functionality that is not working consistently or reliably for me. And I don't really consider that much of an issue, given the availability of work-arounds. I only intended to bump the thread as a result of having found a solution for one of the other problems I had. I'm a fan of posting solutions, given the level of frustration I experience doing Google searches where someone posts, "Never mind, I figured it out." to a problem I'm working on, but doesn't post the solution. :)

I would close the topic, but there doesn't seem to be an option for doing that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: