Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
king_size

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:12 pm   

zMUD 6.16 + Visual Basic

Hey there, everybody, and especially coding Geeks :)

I was wondering, if with the use of VB it was possible to get the text that is displayed in the zMUD window. Right now, using an API spy, I managed to get the hwnd and the contents only of the input box.

Well, input box is easy - it is just a textbox. Apparently, the component used for displaying text coming from a mud is a custom one, and I have been yet unable to do anything with it.

All I need is just loading the text from the zMUD window into a variable, that'll do.

Will extremely appreciate any help!

King_Size
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:13 pm   

You might want to check into the DevKit and also in the Support Library for all the COM information. Other then that there are the Predefined Variables %line, %line2, %line3, %line4, and %line5 to give you the last few lines.
king_size

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:03 pm   

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I've looked at COM Server information, which has turned out to be extremely useful in all senses, except for the fact that there is no information whatsoever, on obtaining the contents of the output window.

There's information how to process and send strings to MUD, how to operate with the objects (vars, triggers, aliases etc), but not how to get the actual window text.

Having spent quite some time on it, Twisted Evil , I am starting to wonder if this is possible at all...

Any zMUD COM experts here? Rolling Eyes
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:44 pm   

Are you looking for this? Im still Newbish with VB sooo I could be wrong.

Private Sub IzMUDPlugin_Parse(ByVal H As Long, P As String, ByVal IsPrompt As Boolean, DoGag As Long, DoUpdate As Boolean)
'P is the last line recieved before triggers act on it
If P Like "*" Then
'What to do if P like *
End If
End Sub

The developers Forum has a few Topics worth reading including a working VB 6 example plugin by onoitsu2
king_size

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:01 pm   

Umm, not really. Your code is a code of a plugin for zMUD, which should be installed into zMUD and accessed from there, while I was looking for a way to get the text of zMUD window from an external application.

Thanks for reminding me to check out the developers forum, though, I'll keep looking for it till I find it :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:27 pm   

You can't grab the contents of the zMUD output window. All you can do is trap the MUDInput routine in a plugin and capture the text received from the MUD yourself.

Also, you should probably use the latest 7.05 version since there were a lot of COM-related and plugin-related bugs fixed since 6.16.
king_size

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:45 pm   

Right. It's impossible to grab the contents of the output window externally, so best choice is to make a plugin that would somehow send it to another program. As you say, it's impossible to do with COM, maybe there's a way with WinAPI? Although, I really doubt it, cause apparently TTerm is a special class, and it gets 'drawn', rather then having text inserted into it.

Anyway, guess it's not really worth all that effort. I may suggest adding that option in future versions, would be really cool :)

And thanks for suggesting the upgrade, I need to ponder it :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: