Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Targa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:52 am   

Request: Simple trigger w/variable

Finally upgraded to the latest zmud after using 4.62 since I purchased it in 1997. Surprised Lots of new and complicated commands, I see. What I'm looking for, I think, is to just store some info in a variable. Here's the situation:

When I 'bump' into a closed door (which may be named 'door', 'gate', or anything) I have been using the following:
#TR {The (%w) seems to be closed.}{open %1}
However, if the %w is locked, the name is NOT in the resulting line from the mud, but rather I see 'It seems to be locked'. Rather than having my first trigger waste time by doing "unlock %1;open %1" on every door, I need a way to capture (%w) to a variable, and feed that variable to the unlock trigger...I think. A fairly simple thing for many of you ppl here probably. Would appreciate any advice on how to make this work.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:28 pm   

#TRIGGER {^The (%w) seems to be closed.} {#VARIABLE curr_door %-1;open @curr_door}
#TRIGGER {^It seems to be locked.} {unlock @curr_door;open @curr_door}
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:57 pm   

Fix for mr_kent's trigger // added {} braces around %-1 to capture correctly

#TRIGGER {^The (%w) seems to be closed.} {#VARIABLE curr_door {%-1};open @curr_door}
Targa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:48 pm   

Thanks alot! Question tho: What's the diff in the new zmud that I would now use %-1 rather than %1? Am reading through the help docs and haven't found an explanation for that.

Here's another one I need, a bit more complex (for me at least). The mud I play on uses 'north' as the default door-opening direction (ie: 'open door' tells the mud to 'open door north'). Thus, if you already have an open door to the north and there's a closed door to the south, you *must* type 'open door s'. I use the numerical keypad for walking around, which as you know does not enter chars into the history buffer. My question is this:

If the above trigger fires in this type of situation, I get "But it's already open!" Is there any way to 'grab' the last direction I used with the numpad and feed that back to zmud in a trigger to open the correct direction?

Just in case I'm not explaining this well enough, here's an example, assuming I'm standing in a room with 4 closed doors in the 4 cardinal directions:

n
The door seems to be closed. (this fires the above trigger to 'open door', which the mud defaults to north)
#tr open door
You open the door
e
The door seems to be closed. (again, this fires the same trigger, but now I get:)
#tr open door
But it's already open!

I have 2 choices here. I can either have another trigger that fires on 'But it's already open!' to try to grab the last direction I entered on the numpad, or, to be more efficient, I need to modify the original door opening trigger to do this. ie:

#TR {^The (%w) seems to be closed.} {#VAR curr_door {%-1};(grab last dir typed in numpad);open @curr_door (direction)}
#TR {^It seems to be locked.} {unlock @curr_door (direction);open @curr_door (direction)}

Is this possible? Thanks!

Last edited by Targa on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:51 pm   

That is a bug. Should be %1. As far as I know %-1 is supposed to be unsupported in zScript nowadays (if it ever was supported Mr. Green). %-1, %-2, etc are valid for use with aliases though.
Targa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:16 pm   

Also, in the latest zmud help files, Zugg gives the following example:

#TRIGGER {Hp: (%d) Mana: (%d)} {#VAR HpVar %1;#VAR ManaVar %2}

This leads me to ask the question: Why, Nexela, do you state that when capturing the variable the %1 must be enclosed in curly brackets?
Danlo
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:39 pm   

Because if the value stored in %1 consists of more than 1 word, it will give the variable the value of the first word, and put the variable in a class labelled by the last word. You can also use "" instead of curly brackets.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:02 pm   

Danlo wrote:
Because if the value stored in %1 consists of more than 1 word, it will give the variable the value of the first word, and put the variable in a class labelled by the last word. You can also use "" instead of curly brackets.

In this case it should always be a word as %w is used.
Danlo
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:10 pm   

At any rate, its good practice and a good thing to know.
Targa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:05 pm   

OK, I'm testing the following now and can't see why it's not working:

#TR {^The (%w) seems to be closed.} {#VAR door {%1};open @door @lastcom3}
This results in the command "open gate" (when i hit a gate)
When I then type #var by itself, it shows that @lastcom3 is "east", yet it's not being sent to the mud. Any idea why? I've tried @lastcom and @lastcom2 also.

nvm, doh! should be 'open @door %lastcom3

Laughing
Targa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:55 pm   

For future reference (for those who may find this thread through a search), here are the completed, functional triggers:

#TR {^The (%w) seems to be closed.} {#var door {%1};open @door %lastcom2}
#TR {^It seems to be locked.} {unlock @door %lastcom3}

These are made for Medievia's system.

Tr #1: If you "bump" into a "gate" when you type "s" or "south", feeds the word "gate" into the @door variable, retrieves "lastcom2" (which was you trying to move -south-), and sends the mud "open gate south".
If the gate is locked, the second trigger will fire, sending "unlock gate south" to the mud.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:39 pm   

*Screams* Ok I give up thats at least three things Ive overlooked in as many days
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: