Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
klayso-ed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 am   

Eternal Darkness - Attacking With Tank

I control my group and characters through one of my mages screen. In certain areas, I like my warrior to attack first, but it's really tedious. right now I have a hotkey/macro set to for example;

F1 - which I've then set it when I push it to perform the action :warriorsname: k gob

However, if there's something with a different name, I've got to manually type it in. Is there a way I can setup a trigger to update that macro, etc, to whatever zone I'm in or is there an easier way to do this?
Ralph1971
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 am   

yes there is.. but this is not the forum to ask in. Ask in the general scripts forum. Or one of the moderators might move this over there.. either will work.
klayso-ed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:50 pm   

So... does anyone have any tips or could tell me how to do this?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:22 pm   

Use a variable to record who is what. Since you have at least two characters performing different roles at different times, you might be best off with a datarecord variable set up like so:

key-value
tank-name
healer-name
spellup-name

I'd create a group alias that allows for easy assignment of roles, like so:

#alias Group {#addkey dbvarname %1 %2}

Example: group tank george

From there, all you have to do is use :@{dbvarname.tank}: or something similar to refer to that window, allowing you to simply press F1.

You have other options, of course, but the above should be simple enough to get you started.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:21 am   

Thanks Matt. Still a bit confusing.

I'm still new to MUDing and using zMUD. So. Maybe I could get something specific? Or details on how to do each step?

Pretty much I'm thinking a quick command I can type, like TRA (the first three letters of the characters name) and then the name of the mob and it'll send something to that characters tab telling them to attack that mob.

The tabs are all named as each characters name. So I can send commands from one window to the next using :charactername: command.
klayso-ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:17 pm   

This is what I'm doing so far. This is set on my warrior/tank character.

#trigger {Klayso tells you,(*)} {kill %1}

Then I set up a simple alias so my character I am controlling from can send a tell to him saying which mob to attack. However, this trigger above when executed says;

kill 'kill dummy'

If I take the kill out of the trigger above the outcome is;

'kill dummy'

You say, 'kill dummy''

I got the idea from this here http://www.zuggsoft.com/library/book2/triggers.htm.
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:59 pm   

Hi There is a targeting scripts at the ED web site http://www.eternaldarknessmud.com/ i put there a while back may be of some help

Last edited by Sutex-Kindred on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
klayso-ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 pm   

I can't find it. :(

Could you post a more specific link?
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 pm   try this link :)

look in Scripts and Triggers backstab targeting example

http://www.eternaldarknessmud.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=47#Eternal_Darkness_Mud
klayso-ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:28 pm   

Thanks. I responded back at that site. :)
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:11 am   forum will test your patience.

Tying to get answers in this forum is problem, even if you get a reply more often than not it would be incomplete answer to your question ,then you have to wait until who ever posted the incomplete reply comes back and give you the right complete answer. So don't expect too much from this forum. It will test your patience.
klayso-ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 am   

Bummer. I'd really like to learn more about creating triggers. Any good starting tutorials or anything you would suggest?
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:40 pm   Yep.. Waste of your time I think.

The post you started has not be answered in a way you can understand, nor has your reply saying you need more help with the original question been answered. This is normal, get use to it, years may past.
As already stated this seems to be the norm at this forum. So i have been looking for other forum where mud question can be asked but have not found any. !!
Maybe someone could answer that question ( where is another mud forum), but I doubt it. So I think we are both out of luck. I have had simple posts up for months only to get gibberish back as a reply, and when I post saying can you (the postie) explain what is is that is written (code) I never get that answers/explanation. One post is years old like 6 years old and has never been answered.

Suggestion
Use the search, a least some other smuk, had to go through the ordeal of tying to get post answered , and not you.
Just keep repeating your post until the penny drops that you won't go away until you get an answer that is appropriate for you, AND the question you asked about.
For reading material the online help for Zmud doc or Cmud doc, is the only suggestion.

In short this forum has just annoyed me , and I will be glad when i can finally get my trigger finished, so I just don't have to bother tying to hunt down the right answers to my question, anymore.

Well GOOD LUCK :) You would think that given we have words like novice after our names and not GOD like names GURU or whatever, that code with explanation or a code that can be copy and pasted , would be the best way to go. Yet Iam only a novice and have never been able to work out the minds of those if the lofty heights, of Zmud land.

:) :) :)
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 am   

Quote:
This is what I'm doing so far. This is set on my warrior/tank character.
#trigger {Klayso tells you,(*)} {kill %1}
Then I set up a simple alias so my character I am controlling from can send a tell to him saying which mob to attack. However, this trigger above when executed says;
kill 'kill dummy'
If I take the kill out of the trigger above the outcome is;
'kill dummy'
You say, 'kill dummy''

You just need to adjust your trigger a little bit to account for the '' part and also tweak it a little bit so it wont fire off of every tell

#trigger {Klayso tells you, 'Kill (*)'} {kill %1}
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:45 am   

As for the initial part of the post

#KEY F1 {:warriorsname: k @target}
#ALIAS kill {target=%1;:warriorsname: k %1;}
#ALIAS TRA {:warriorsname: %1}

The first one changes your F1 key to use the target variable
the kill macro changes the target variable to whatever you type after it and also sends the kill command to your warriors window
the TRA alias will send whatever you type after it to your warriors window
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: