Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 pm   

PLEASE READ All POST FROM THE TOP ( beginning) AND READ DOWN..NOT HALFWAY

This seems like a simple idea , but years of tying to get post answered correctly . It has become clear that those who answerer post seem to READ the POST half way though or at the END of the post.
I give all relevant information at the beginning of any post , which has be the case in writing English for the last Thousand years, Never in The English ( human) Languages do you read information from the END or HALFWAY though.
So lets all applied the thousands years of normal practice when reading anything in English on this little blue planet and then you will be clear what it is, that is been asked..

Examples of how this works.. From the top maestros .. Music sound better when started from the beginning
GOD.. "In the beginning their was the word." Not "In the end their was the word"

Thank you (normally at the end of an statement)

And for those who have not read from the top .. oh well there is nothing here!
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:02 am   

There are a few things wrong with this post, Please bear with me as this is not directed just at you but anyone who asks a question in general.

1: Your subject line is incorrect it should read: "Please read all post from the top ( beginning) and read down..not halfway"
Notice the lack of the CAPS-LOCK in the newly formatted title most of us won't even open a post in caps.

2: If a post is in caps and contains nothing and we take the time to read it and respond to it then we are spending less time answering legitimate questions.

3: We provide a volunteer service (aka we don't get paid) to answer posts, if we feel a post is confusing to us either content wise or grammar wise; we will either ignore it, guess at the intention, or ask for more clarification. or a mixture of all three.

4: Also posts do not need to be in novel form There is no need for a plot beginning, climax, middle, end. We just want a summary and info/mud output pertaining to it. Lack of this leads to #3

If you are having a problem getting the right answer then chances are your asking the wrong question asking too many questions or are supplying us with the wrong info or not enough info. Use one question per post and give us a summary and as much info or actual mud output as necessary.

Now that i've spent 30 minutes working on this post so I wouldn't come off as a super a-hole I am late for a dinner party which means I don't have any time to look at your other posts so when I get back I will take a look at them

EDIT (MattLofton): It's not very fun writing entire scripts for people who seem to not understand the majority of what's going on in that script. If you find yourself in this disadvantaged position, it's usually best to ponder the overall concept of what you want to do and break it down into small, discreet (and manageable!) tasks that maybe can stand on their own merits. Part of this is for practicality (trying to make one large, complex script will probably result in you hitting a dead-end later in the project), and part of this is that sometimes working with smaller problems can help you understand and master how to handle them.

Also, try to be patient(er). Users have different ways of thinking, and if you end up shifting the focus of your help from one experienced user to another their solution might require a "from-the-ground-up" redo instead of building on the work of your former helper. This takes a lot longer, and even longer still, if they have to ask the same questions you already answered earlier.

Since I happened to already respond to one of your threads and since there isn't anything particularly useful (in regards to those projects), I'll lock this one now.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: