Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:47 am   

CMud Lockup

I was trying to figure out how to import my *.txt files from Zmud into CMud, with no success, and in the process managed to get CMud to lock up (version 1.12).

What I did was:

Open the package editor

Click on the little button next to the area that says "Package: Untitled" (right to the right of it, I think it was to create a new package).

After that, I went to the Tools menu. Now it is completely locked up.

I'd still like to know how to import text files into Cmud.
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:50 am   

Oh, and CMUD is taking up 95-100% of my CPU, too.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:01 am   

Try not to put more than one issue in each thread. Regarding CPU, have a look at this thread I made [1.09] CMUD high CPU usage, and check if any of the issues still apply for you. You may want to post your results on that thread - I can always change the subject to reflect the new version of CMUD.
SkicoreSK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:26 am   

I have noticed a significantly reduction in my computers performance when using editor windows in Cmud. It seems quite CPU intensive I dont exactly have an amazing machine but Cmud appears to be running slower than Zmud when making a large amount of triggers via the trigger editor window. I assume it has something to do with the package editing/opening/saving.
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:13 pm   

Nothing in the [1.09] thread relates to the issue I'm reporting. There's simply something wrong with the package interface there.

It is trivial for me to reproduce this on both my home and work computers.

Start CMUD

Quit out of the character selection stuff

Click the "alias" button (opens the package editor)

Click the button in questions ("package properties")

At this point, the CPU is going at 100% usage (or 50% on my dual core. :P)

After that, doing any menu off the top renders it completely stuck.

--Kernighan
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:39 am   

Oh I see - I misunderstood. As you posted a 2nd post in this thread, kernighan, it looked like you were posting about a separate issue - I didn't realise they were the same issue - I would just have edited my original message and added that piece of information if it was just a few minutes after posting the first message.
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:52 am   

I'm curious if anyone else can reproduce this problem on their systems.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:02 pm   

Well, I was unable to reproduce it. Try uninstalling cMud, deleting your cMud directory and reinstalling. Then follow the steps you gave us to get the lock up.
My guess is you corrupted something in the settings when you failed to import your stuff and it is carrying across sessions.

Let us know either way. Maybe someone else will have better luck too.

My machine is an AMD Athalon XP 1800+ with a gig of ram.
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:55 pm   

Thanks Arminas,

I uninstalled, removed the CMUD dir in program files, and then reinstalled, and it stil lhappens. :/ I might suspect corruption more, but:

(a) My second system (work with dual core) has never had ZMud or CMUD installed on it before
(b) I haven't imported any settings on either of them

System Home is a 1.6 GHz P4 with 512MB RAM
System Work is a 3.4GHz dual core Core 2, with 2 GB RAM

I wish I knew what caused it. :/

--Kernighan
dedawgg
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:21 am   

I also wasn't able to duplicate this problem when following those exact steps. Clicking on the Package Properties button pushed my 1.7GHz P4 processor to around 20% for a split sec before going back to 0-2%, so not much help there. This was just on the initial "untitled" package, with no imported settings, either.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:10 pm   

I think I may have managed to duplicate this (on 1.13) by accident using a slightly different method. I'll post more later if I can reproduce it again.
Ggoss
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:48 pm   

i get cmud to lock up alot too when I try pasting in Triggers and alias's that I exported to a text file from zmud.
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 pm   

This is 100% reproducible in 1.15 as well
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:54 pm   

Kernighan please post EXACTLY what you pasted and where you pasted it. If you can %100 reproduce it then we need to let Zugg know how to do it.
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:03 pm   

I didn't paste anything. If you read this thread, you can see that I can reproduce this lockup simply by cliking my mouse 3-4 times in the right sequence. Someone else posted about getting cmud to lock up via pasting.

--Kernighan
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:38 pm   

What did you click? It seems from the instructions above that you clicked the package properties button on the packages toolbar, then clicked the Tools menu. No dice here trying to reproduce it with that method.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:49 am   

Here's screenshots of what I do:

Start CMUD.

Close the Sessions screen.

Select the Aliases button

Select the Package Properties button

At this point, CMUD is locked up. Selecting menu's will more easily show this. In this screenshot, I'd selected tools, and then was trying to select File.

Here's a snapshot of the Task Manager.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:16 am   

Yeah, I think I had more or less the same thing on CMUD 1.13, but I couldn't replicate it - I had imported my MUD file though, but it seemed to not be in a very good state with it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:10 am   

Bumping this post because kernighan is still getting this lockup problem, but I can't reproduce it and need to know if anyone else can.

kernighan claims he has already tried this on a fresh system that didn't have zMUD or CMUD installed, but I've tried it on all of my systems here and never see any problem.

I'd like to try and figure out what is causing this before the public release.
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:58 am   

I've seen this before. I'm creating a GUI for an open sourced server. I noticed that my GUI would peg the CPU up to 100% consistently. It ended up being a removable drive that was hooked up to an USB 1.1 hub. Does any of the people that are having this problem have a removable USB drive hooked up to their system? This can be a MMC card reader, a cell phone, or a flash drive. I'm guessing it's probably badly written drivers and/or hardware interfaces.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:02 am   

Well, I've also seen the Developer Express toolbar system go into 100% cpu mode when it gets into some loop updating the state of the toolbar. So I'm guessing that it's more something like this. Although that doesn't explain why it might be system dependant, so maybe you are right. Windows certainly can be pretty wierd sometimes.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:59 am   

I managed to generate 1 lockup of CMud v1.17 during my testing. When it happened I had launched, clicked the X to close the Sessions window, then clicked the Settings button. This was done in quite rapid succession, CMud had 0 processor usage, but refused to respond to all clicks and mouse movement. The Settings button remained highlighted and I ultimately closed CMud via right-click on the taskbar and selecting Close. Last I checked both displaying that context menu, and responding to a Close from it required that message processing by the application still function. I am guessing something else caused my particular lockup.

Attempts at replicating it have thus far yielded nothing.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:26 am   

I don't usually use an external hard drive, although I might possibly have been using an external keyboard and mouse for my laptop when I had the problem (can't remember).

Since this is difficult to replicate for most of us, I wonder if it is a timing issue. Perhaps there is a dead lock between a couple of threads - say the background update thread and the main thread - where they are (both?) in a loop checking for the other thread to unlock a resource or something.
kernighan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 pm   

I don't have an external HD, and the only USB bits connected are my mouse and keyboard.

Dr. Watson made some dumps of CMUD when I forced it to end via the task manager, would these help any?

I'm wondering if the lockups have to do with something where maybe some old version of CMUD set up something that makes it so the newer ones work for people (which wouldn't be my case). So that is why it works just fine for many people, but not for me having just had newer installs...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:40 pm   

No, the Dr. Watson dumps wouldn't have at all unfortunately.

And if you have deleted your entire CMUD directory and reinstalled, then there is no way for old versions to mess up the new version. All of the files used by CMUD are in the CMUD folder.

Do you have any other computer you can try it on? (I forget if you already tried that)

Also, is it really locked up, or is it just using 100% CPU. For example, can you still click in the command line and type?

Does it matter what menu you click? Does it lock up when selecting any menu? Is it just when selecting the main application menu, or does it lock up when selecting a menu item within the package editor menu?

If you don't click a menu item, does it still lock up? Give us as much information as you can possibly think of, and play around with various ways of doing it to see if you can pin down how it happens. Since none of us can reproduce it, we have to rely on your testing to help us out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: