Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:41 pm   

Simple data record question/request

Is there an easier way to get items from a data record by position other than to use %expanddb and convert it to a string list? Basically, I don't know (nor care) what the keys are ahead of time, and I just want to display the first 5-10 keys in a status window. If I use a string list, I can use %item to grab the elements. I'd prefer to have something simple to do a similar thing with a data record because it's going to be updated in real time and could be fast changing. Too complex a function would really slow down my display, even though the data records themselves are very fast otherwise. Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone might have on this.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:57 pm   

Keep the first key of the db record as a list of keys.
#ADDITEM MyRecord.keys Test
#ADDKEY MyRecord Test Value1
etc

Then just show %db(@MyRecord,%item(@MyRecord.keys,1))

untested but I always use an index like that. Also useful to check to see if a record has a key to update, delete or do something.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:59 pm   

Brilliant answer! I shouldn't have to worry about the index becoming one of the keys that get displayed, either, because I control which ones are added... I like it. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: