Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Murph

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:54 pm   

zMud on Linux - It can be done. Now easily.

Hello!

I've signed up on Wine's AppDB to be the new zMud super-maintainer person. (The information on there was seriously out of date).

Thanks to the improvements in Wine's OLE and MDAC stuff put into .9, zMud is working better than ever.

Here's how it works. Wine 0.9.2 (.9 and .9.1 probably work too). Download zmud 7.13b, and install it with wine set to win98.

There. Perfect support, except you can't create maps.

That being said, If anyone has had success with other recent versions of wine / zmud, or has issues with this, i'd love to hear it so i can file bug reports and search for workarounds.

--Murph

PS - I see the fourteen page long zmud on linux thread. It's too long / mostly outdated.
Vodoc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:37 am   

Can't create maps but use them? Can use maps and edit them but don't create new ones? Please clarify.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:27 pm   

Murph, it's probably a good idea to start a new thread on this...the old one was definitely getting outdated.

But I'm curious...does the newer 7.21 version work any better? I know that there has been issues with the eLicense stuff having trouble on linux in the past, and I'm curious to see if the new copy protection works any better (or any worse).

And if it helps with Wine at all, the map "creation" stuff uses an extension to ADO/MDAC called the ADOX library. ADOX is only really implemented for the Jet drivers (Microsoft Access 2000). ADOX has the routine that is used to create a new database file I believe. Anyway, it might give you a clue to look into with the Wine people.

So, let me know about v7.21, but this is good news!
Murph

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:30 pm   

It's a "your milage may vary" kinda thing. Some people haven't been able to open the mapper, other just can't create or edit maps (but can follow premade ones).

Hopefully, I'll have some better information on the mapper soon - I'm doing my best to find exactly what needs to be fixed (it's way beyond my programming ability, but i can bugreport and debug!). Also, I'm looking into a workaround involving using some native windows OLE objects.

--Murph
Murph

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:54 pm   

(That was posted before I saw Zugg's post)

Thanks for the tip about the mapper!

I believe eLicense uses a diffrent system for windows 9x and and Windows 2000/XP - the 98 version works great under WINE, but I believe the 2000 version brings about random crashes.

7.21 seems to be working well under the win2k setting of wine (Mapper's the same though), but under the Win98 setting.. it gives a stack exception overflow and dies before the splash.

--Murph
aladrin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:43 pm   

How interesting! I was just considering playing some MUDs again and I've only got a Linux computer at the moment... my Windows PC is down for repairs.

I'm glad to hear that it not only works, but that Zugg cares that it works!

ZMUD has been money well spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: