Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:59 pm   

minor connection issue: multiple sockets connected sometimes

Occasionally when first logging into a mud (I can provide specific muds, if necessary), I see multiple successful connection messages (the most I've seen is three -- usually there are only two, when this occurs). The login proceeds normally, and I'm able to play normally.

However, I'm finding that any time this occurs, my session's "life" is limited. My assumption is that the extra connection(s) are timing out, and as an artifact of that, all the connections for that character get reset.

This is only a minor annoyance since I've learned after this occurs to simply wait for the connection to reset so that I can reconnect with a stable socket. I mention it here because I'm curious if I'm the only one running into this problem.
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 pm   

Forgot to specify version: 7.13b. Also, my internet connection is via dial-up modem, which may or may not be relevant.
tye
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:59 pm   

This is still occurring in version 7.20b. Just FYI.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:18 pm   

if you can provide specific muds i can try and see.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:14 pm   

Pretty much the only mud I connect to is Apocalypse V: connect at apocmud-dot-org, port 4000. Sorry I don't have more muds to list that I've experienced this on.
Pseudo
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:27 am   

Every case I've seen this happen in so far was due to the mud being the problem. The telnet server sends a false-positive to the client, causing it to request a second or third connection. Of course, the client uses the last connection and the server uses the first, stripping off the last two connections made from the same host. I would suggest picking a couple random muds and see if this problem occurs on those as well. If it does, please list all the muds this occurs at so we can duplicate the problem. If it doesn't, I would suggest mailing the mud admin so he can address the issue.
Pseudo
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:01 am   

There is a second possibility that I ran into a while back that I should mention, though it is not nearly as likely. Again, it deals with the telnet server being the cause of the problem. If the main game loop is written to wake up incorrectly, the game loop can try to attach the connection multiple times while the wake up is occurring. This would be noticeable mainly when the game has a reason to come out of a sleep state, such as no characters online and one connects or any other time a connection causes a wake state to occur. Just some food for thought. Smile
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:43 pm   

well, yer 1st post said you had several then ya say just the one..
well, either way, i connected and disconnected a few times as a test and never had more than one connection.
So, either i got lucky, or your settings are definately screwed.
might wanna check the time out length that you have set.
It DID take a while before the connection was even established.
Best, and really the only, suggestion i have
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:11 pm   

I'd be happy to sit down and remember all the instances I've seen this occur. Just give me your credit card number and I'll charge my hourly rate. Until then, the top two will suffice. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: