Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
rodzeth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:44 pm   

zMUD and Windows XP SP2 issues

I'm wondering if there are any known, and hopefully fixable somehow, issues between zMUD and Windows XP with SP2?

Ever since I got my new computer I get frequent lockups when I play through zMUD. If I connect through telnet I never get them. I have the Windows firewall turned off and I've also tried to play with my regular firewall (zonealarm) turned off which didn't make a difference. I experience these lockups in zMUD versions 4.62, 6.16, 7.14 and 7.20b.

I'm hoping someone here might have a solution to my problem.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:54 pm   

There are currently no known issues with zMUD and SP2 in the later versions (7.1x and later). If telnet works fine, my guess is that the "lockups" are not network related, but I don't really know what you mean by a "lockup". Are you talking about Windows freezing causing you to have to reboot, or are you just talking about network lag?

My guess is that you've got a corrupted settings file or some bad scripts running in the background that are causing problems, but without more details on exactly what you mean by a "lockup" there isn't much I can do to help.

But Firewalls won't cause "lag"...they will either let you connect or not.
rodzeth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:33 am   

I used completely clean settings with all versions and the lockups usually came in the form that I pinged just fine to the mud and that I could receive text, but my commands didn't go through until after 20 seconds or so.

Thankfully I seem to have found the problem. The muds standard port is 3000 and I still get lockups when i connect through that, but when I connect through the telnet port 23 everything runs just fine.

Sometimes writing it down puts things in perspective. Very Happy
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:19 am   

That definitely sounds like a firewall or security software issue then. zMUD doesn't care at all about the port numbers. So something else running on your system isn't liking it using a different port.

I personally used to have a *lot* of trouble with ZoneAlarm doing wierd stuff and I no longer use it. In many cases just disabling it didn't do anything and I actually had to remove it from the startup and reboot. But that was a while ago, so I can't say for sure. But that's where I'd start looking first.

I use the Windows Firewall in SP2 myself and haven't see any trouble with it and zMUD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: