Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Tragedy.in.progress

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:50 am   

Counting kills.

Hi all, I'm fairly new to zmud and it's complex trigger system and I would really appreciate it if I could get some help with a trigger.

This is what I am triggering off of:
--> Deadguy Quest-Killed by Bob at %3(%3 in this trigger doesn't have a use)

So what I want is that when someone kills another player in the quest, I want it to qecho something like this:

qecho Bob 12, Deadguy 3

And if those two players fought again and the result is different..

qecho Bob 12, Deadguy 4

And so on and so forth. It would also be cool if I could make it keep track of total kills and deaths. Thanks in advance, peoples.
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:01 am   

first do you want to keep track of the kills forever or just the current quest?

start by making a trigger to get all the name sof the people in the quest.
In my mud it wou be "who group" and then a list pops up or you could just wait till they kill each other and enter their names then, but what if someone does not kill or get killed?

Also you need a way to dump the info after each qeust or your list will get to be very large.
something like "The quest is over" or 'endquest' as an alias you type.

more info like this will help all of us to help you better.
Tragedy.in.progress

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:17 am   

I would like to keep track of kills forever and for the current quest, I think, if the list gets to large, I can simply delete it or reset it or whatever, I'm not worried about that. And that's why I trigger off of the string like I showed above so it doesn't matter if a played doesn't kill or get killed as the trigger only shows WHEN someone actually kills or gets killed. But I still don't know how to make it keep track of the kills, even just for the current quest.
Firey
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:06 pm   

Hmm... I dun really get all of it... but the: - Deadguy Quest-Killed by Bob at %3 - is the pattern for the trigger, aye? (without the -'s)

I guess you could do this:

Pattern:
Deadguy Quest-Killed by Bob at %1

Value:
#ADD Bob 1
#ECHO Bob: @bob *** Deadguy: @deadguy

and a new trigger:

Pattern:
Bob Quest-Killed by Deadguy at %1

Value:
#ADD Deadguy 1
#ECHO Bob: @bob *** Deadguy: @deadguy

You need two variables. One called Bob and one called Deadguy.

If you got more people that can get killed in that quest make triggers for them too and variables.
Like:

Pattern:
Aegis Quest-Killed by Sarapis at %1

Value:
#ADD Sarapis 1

then a variable called Sarapis to count when he get killed.

You can also do:

Pattern:
%1 Quest-Killed by %2 at %3

Value:
#ADD %2 1
#ECHO %1: @%1 *** %2: @%2

But then you'll need to have the names of everyone that can get and can quest-kill in the quest, and have 1 variable for each.

You need to remember to have the echoes on the other stuff above (the values that I've "forgot" to add it too). I'm not sure if the last trigger actually will work, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

*Phew* Finally done...heh. :D
Tragedy.in.progress

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:02 pm   

I used the last one, and it works to keep track of total kills, and that is partially what I am after. But I want to make it so if Bob kills Deadguy 20 times before Deadguy gets a kill in, it would look like..

qecho Bob 20 - Deadguy 0

And lots of people are able to join the quest, as few as 2 or as many as 20 or 30. So, Bob could be killing many different people in between killing Deadguy, and it would keep his record vs. each new player that he killed/died to.

Another thing, players have to quest apply to join the quest. I don't know if this will be useful or not, but that trigger looks like..

Pattern:
%1 would like to JOIN your

And to stop playing in the quest, that trigger looks like..

Pattern:
%1 has stopped the PK-QUEST for you.

Another question, when new variables are created for this trigger, they are created in the main root folder, anyway I can make them create in another folder?

Sorry if I'm not describing things exactly as they need to be.. I guess I've found two things I'm not good at, anyways, thanks again for the help.
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:49 am   

keeping track of everyone who comes into your quest is going to be huge

keeping trak forever of all the kills vs someone else this quest and total over time will be huge.

the triggers are farly simple just need to make some desisions.

You could make this variable-databases in one folder

or

You could create a database with some vars for the quests your on at the time.

I personally believe that my first sugestion will ultimitly be the eaisiest.

but hey its up to you
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: