Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fireduck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:54 pm   

Is it possible to send commands to a second instance of cmud/zmud?

What I'd ideally like to be able to do is to run a second copy of cmud/zmud on a separate machine, and second commands using the first. Can I do this using COM or DDE? Perhaps even lua?

failing that, I'd have to resort to something like #writing commands to a text file, and #reading them 100 times a second...
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 pm   

There are remote access programs that let you control another machine remotely... that would bypass the need for a second instance.
I heard of some folks creating an #SSH tunnel to reroute their connection...
If its for gaming applications you could have one character triggering off specific speech/action patterns from the other.

COM can control other programs, so i dont see why it couldnt access another CMUD instance, but it is rather esoteric for me.
Lua can pull info from web pages, and edit them dynamically... so there is potential there.

So in short, Yes.
Just remember CMUD is intended to be a Client, not a Server.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 am   

Actually, CMUD exposes a COM Server API that can be accessed via .NET. One thing to remember is that the %cmud variable holds the handle to the current instance, so if you can pass it to some other code then that code can obtain services from that CMUD instance.
I mentioned the .NET Framework because that is how I get access. Old-fashioned COM works just as well (even better since it runs without the wrapping layer .NET uses).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: