Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:03 am   

Multiple character session - map trouble

I've recently started playing on a second mud, an am having no end of trouble setting up a multiple-character session, specifically with Maps.

I have two sessions - one for each character, each on different muds with different maps. Opening each session alone, everything is fine. Each session has its own directory containing the package and associated files, as well as a map directory, which contains the .dbm and associated files.

I make a multiple character session as follows:
Open char1 offline. Open char 2 offline. Each is now in it's own tab, with meticulously laid out windows for communication channels, etc.. Each map window is open, associated with the right database. Save session as "Both". Save layout.

Ok, now close the session (restart CMUD). Open "Both" offline. I get one map window in one tab, no map in the other tab. Further investigation reveals that for the tab lacking a map window, a new map directory, with a new map .dbm and associated files, has been created in the session directory for the other character.

Before creating the multiple-char-session:
Code:
Char1[dir]
| Char1.pkg
| Char1RefMap[dir]
  | RefMap.dbm

Char2[dir]
| Char2.pkg
| Char2RefMap[dir]
  | RefMap.dbm

After creating and reopening the multiple-char-session:
Code:
Char1[dir]
| Char1.pkg
| Char1RefMap[dir]
  | RefMap.dbm
| Char2RefMap[dir]
  | RefMap.dbm [new]

Char2[dir]
| Char2.pkg
| Char2RefMap[dir]
  | RefMap.dbm [unused]

The location of the newly created map directory and its files varies. Sometimes the Char1RefMap directory appears in the Char2 directory, and sometimes vice versa.

Because the location of each map database is referenced by a string containing a relative path, correctly referencing each map database without a specific file structure seems impossible. The nature of this structure is mentioned nowhere in the help file; if I'm wrong about this conclusion, do please let me know. I've tried to come up with a file structure that will accommodate launching each character alone, or as a multiple-char-session, and still load the correct map database, to no avail. Layouts get trashed, .pkg files don't load properly, new map directories continue to be made -- chaos.

[rant]Why the (hell) use relative file paths, to begin with?[/rant] Multiple character sessions don't require any special file structure, but when each has it's own map, I don't see how this problem can be avoided. Ok, sorry for the rant, but I spent an absurd amount of time just finding out why my layouts kept getting trashed, my maps wouldn't load, and so on.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:33 am   

You can't have more than one map open at a time. Nothing that can be done about it.
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:53 am   

Alright, so I can't run two different mapped muds in a single session. I can live with that.

Fiddling with shared sessions has prompted me to also tackle this with my primary mud. I have more than one character there, but only play one at a time, and I'd rather not mess around with tracking locations when I log one character off and another one on. Also, my desired layout doesn't lend itself to one shared map window, so I'm trying to figure out how to have a shared session wherein each tab has its own map window, and only one location marker. Obviously all the map windows will share the same database.

The help files state:
Quote:
Each session can have it's own map window ... The v3 mapper separates the map "window" from the map "database" ... To share a single map database between multiple sessions, create a separate Shared Package and then drag the Map Database Object in your session package into this new Shared Package.

"Drag the map database," which is separated from the window. Uh, yeah. The only map object in the Package Editor is the map window, which references the map database via a path string. Dragging that to a shared package means there is no map window in the character package. I want a map window in each character tab in my shared session.

What is the desired end result? A map object in the shared package, referencing the map database, and a map window in individual character session, all of which also reference the same map database? Trying to set this up gives me exceptions.

Leaving the map window in the shared package and no map window in each character tab works, but, again, this is all characters sharing a map window.
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 am   

After trying many permutations with shared packages and map windows, I have come to the following conclusions:

You can have multiple map windows only with multiple CMUD instances.
    If you have multiple map windows they had better be using different map databases.
    If you have a multiple-character session you must use a single map window

The help files could be a lot clearer on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: