Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:46 pm   

Expression triggers stopping

Every once in a while, all of my expression triggers just stop working. The connection stays solid, I can move around with the mapper, and all pattern triggers work fine. If I manually execute an expression trigger, it runs its script correctly, but it won't run just from the setting changing. If I save settings, exit and restart CMUD, everything works just fine.

What should I look for that might cause expression triggers to stop functioning?
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:27 pm   

This is happening more often, especially since it's hardly ever crashing anymore (never did figure out why the offending trigger was firing, but the workaround is effective).

Problem is, I have no idea what could possibly cause this to happen. Can someone give me a clue where to start looking?
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:09 am   

I would guess that a duplicate variable in another class/package could cause it
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:03 am   

I regularly check for duplicate variables. I only use one package (+mapper package). More the point, it's EVERY expression trigger that stops working, regardless of the variable. When this is occurring, I can create a new expression trigger, and it won't fire either.

Again, all other settings are functioning as expected, variables change, pattern triggers fire, and I can still interact with the MUD. Only the expression triggers stop firing.

I do appreciate the suggestion though, Shalimar.
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:14 pm   

I tried to break this on my end this morning. I took one of my more established packages, connected to the mud, fired up all my "scripts" and then created a new class. The class contained an expression trigger, an alarm that fired every 5 seconds, and a single variable. The alarm changes the variable back and forth from 1 to 2, and the expression trigger fired if the variable = 1, #printing fired to a test window with time stamps on. The expression trigger has fired about 730 some times in just over 2 hours I think, and I don't see where fired hasn't been printed every 10 seconds in the window yet.

Are these permanent expression triggers or are you creating them on the fly from within your scripts? Also have you tried an export/import of your package file to a new clean session to see if the problem persists?
CMUD 3.34
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm   

Mostly, they're permanent triggers.

ALL of the expression triggers stop. I have about 15 expression triggers in my package, including several in my "Core" script that regulates how almost all of the other triggers in the package function.

Here's something interested that may or may not be related. Last time I played it was late at night and I got this error. I decided it was a sign to go to bed, so I closed the semi-functional program and shut down the computer. Just a moment ago, I started CMUD to count how many Expression triggers I have, and discovered a couple dozen identical Pattern triggers that are supposed to be a temporary Alarm trigger. This alarm is created by one of the Core expression triggers whose failure breaks most of my scripts (the Core trigger breaks the scripts; the alarm is insignificant and my scripts will function fine without it). Because this error does not persist program restart, I cannot test further to see what's going on.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:07 pm   

It sounds to me like your package is corrupted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: