Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:51 pm   

BUG: %mod(n,m) when n<0

When calculating in modular arithmetic, 0 <= n modulo m < m always. However, when using %mod(n,m) with a negative n, I get a negative value.

For example, -1 (mod 3) ≡ 2, but CMUD calculates %mod(-1,3) = -1.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 am   

It's not a bug, it is that way by design. CMUD's modulo function works the way it does in C#, that is, it takes the sign from the dividend.

NOTE: Yes, I agree that this behavior does not conform to the mathematical definition.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 am   

In most coding languages, the mod function behaves the same way. That is, computer science mod is different from mathematical mod.
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 am   

Good to know. I can modify my code involving %mod accordingly, but it bothers the hell out of me (being a professional mathematician).
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 am   

Try this:

rather than just use m = x % y, use m = (x + y) % y.

This will work for most practical values of x. If x is significantly small, then the dividend can be adjusted further, but this gets to be a bit kludgy.
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 am   

Here's my fix:
Code:
  <func name="modulo" id="938">
    <value>#IF (%1<0) {#RETURN (%2+%mod(%1,%2))} {#RETURN %mod(%1,%2)}</value>
  </func>

Cheers!
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 pm   

I'm still a little confused given 0 <= n modulo m < m because surely with negative n that no longer holds true 0 is not less than or equal to -1 it is greater than.
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:05 pm   

From number theory:
If a+b=c, then c-a=b.
So, if 3+4=2 (mod 5), then 2-3=4 (mod 5).
Certainly, 2-3=-1.
Thus, -1=4 (mod 5).

n (mod m) is only defined if n is an integer and m is an integer greater than 1.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:11 pm   

Again I find that odd because I would define a = 3, b = 4 and c = 2 (mod 5) so altering the equation I would have 2 (mod 5) - 3 = 4, I don't see how you can have that (mod 5) just floating around orphaned on the right hand side as clearly 3 + 4 does not equal 2.
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:05 pm   

The (mod 5) is a reference to the partition rule of integers for the entire equation. In modular arithmetic, -10=-5=0=5=10=15=20 (mod 5) and -9=-4=1=6=11=16=21 (mod 5), etc. while -12=-6=0=6=12 (mod 6) and -11=-5=1=7=13 (mod 6). Strictly speaking, all of these equals should be ≡ signs, or "congruent to".

One way of understanding modular arithmetic is to define it as remainders. 1=7=13 (mod 6) because when 7 or 13 is divided by 6, the remainder is 1. (Hence, 3+4=2 (mod 5) This definition is what is apparently used by C# (a language I have not studied or used), so the negatives work differently than what I described above from formal Number Theory.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 pm   

There are languages that provide both a mod function and a remainder function (in Ruby, modulo and mod, respectively) to deal with the discrepancy involving sign. This discrepancy definitely dates to before C#, and likely before C++. I wish I could say that in languages lacking separate functions (or, equivalently, operators) the mod function (or % operator) always works the same way - as a remainder function. But there are minor differences between languages, e.g. in C++ the sign of the result depends on the sign of the first argument, while in Python the sign of the result depends on the second argument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: