Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
N86eAL
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:38 pm   

[3.34][BUG]Show caption on mutiple windows

I have 4 different windows and 1 status window in my current setup, and I have removed the captions for all of them to make it all more streamlined.
Now, I have one main window where the mud is, and three others handing channels, tells and party.

Show caption works for my status windows and my main window. I click in said window, go into Layout and then click Show caption. Voila, and the caption at the top shows.
Now, if I do this on the rest of the windows it doesn't work and I think it has something to do with an update. This layout has been with me for a very long time, so I haven't had captions on for a very long time.

Now I want to rearrange a window, but I can't move it since the caption is gone and I can't get it back. I click the window, I see that it is active, I click Layout>Show Caption and the caption for my main windows pops up.

Last edited by N86eAL on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:50 pm   

Hmm... it works for me... did you try holding shift while opening the session to reset your Layout?
That will at least break up your current lay out.
Maybe that will allow you to get them to show again.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:52 pm   

Ok, I did what you said. I hold shift and opened my session. Everything was as new. I moved my windows around as I wanted them and tried removing the captions, and the only captions I have power over is the status window and main window. The rest I can't change at all.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:55 pm   

Go into settings, select the window and see if youcan type in your own caption for it
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:32 pm   

I can't find anything called settings. I have Options>General but found nothing about window captions there.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:43 pm   

any of the buttons along the top (settings, aliases, triggers, macroes, etc) should open settings.
or go into: View-> all settings
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:52 pm   

Yes, I can change the caption of the windows I have, though I see no way of removing the caption while in those settings.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:01 pm   

If all else fails... delete the windows from your setting and let your capture triggers recreate them.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:10 pm   

Actually, I've been having this problem too, and the only way that I know to solve it is this:

Right-click on the window, make it show the command line.
On the command line, type "#MENU {Layout|Show Caption}"
Right-click on the window, and remove the command line.

I'm not sure where the bug is, but N86eAL is right; the only windows we seem to have control over now are the status windows and main window (as well as mapper window). I've been struggling with this for a while, but it never occurred to me to write up a bug post on it.
N86eAL
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:41 pm   

Thanks Charneus, that worked like a charm.
Not sure what version I had when it worked and all, but I think I have 3.12 at work, and there I can click a window and change the caption without any problems at all.
I got the newest update of cmud and now it doesn't , so something seem to have happened here.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 pm   

Try outright deleting your .xly files. There's also one for the Package Editor (this one gets recreated automatically) called settings.xly. Try also deleting the associated .tbz files as well (sessionname.tbz, settings.tbz, and mapper.tbz).

Haven't had any issues, period, with Show Caption, but I HAVE had issues with:

1)window properties not retaining their saved states (ie, a visible window having the Window is Visible property unchecked) and subsequent reapplication of the property not taking affect (ie, said window does not reappear when the Visible property is rechecked)

Fixing this required that I delete the window and create a new version.

2)Floating windows could not be dragged around (that is, using the mouse to hover over the titlebar, pressing and holding down the left button, then moving the window to wherever I wanted it).

Fixing this wasn't really a fix (to move it, I just chose the Move menu option from the window-icon menu which allows me to move the window via mouse but didn't allow docking to occur), and at some point the window resumed normal functionality without apparent influence from me.

3)docking windows to floating windows (causes layout corruption to the level of unusability that doesn't become apparent until you first close the session and then reopen it, subsequently closing the session to get back to the Sessions window causes an AV)

Fixing this one required me to undock the window and/or redesign the package to use less windows. Not doing the former meant every time I closed the session I had to use the SHIFT trick to reopen it--and I was doing this from early v3 beta to now at the rate of Windows (Update) restarts with only a couple weeks when it was not happening (when I got frustrated enough with other issues that I took action and finally got the layout stable).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: