Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Backu
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:52 pm   

What's the difference?

I'm rather bothered by this. I've seen people get zMUD 7.21 working in various flavors of WINE, however, I cannot get it to load in wine 1.2 on ubuntu 10. For grins and giggles, I download the latest CMUD (3.31) and tried it in wine, and it works beautifully (including mapper) in wine 1.2. So what's the difference? Is CMUD not done in the Borland/Delphi code? Or am I missing something all together? And if I am stuck using CMUD, did I really waste money essentially buying 3 copies of zMUD? If that's the case, I'm not wasting any more money.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm   

There are huge differences between CMUD and zMUD. Yes they are both written in Borland/Delphi code but they are written in different versions and use different 3rd party components. zMUD is much older (and is now frozen, i.e. no more development) and was built with support of earlier versions of Windows (3.1, 95, ME) in mind. This also means they interface with Windows differently. This is why zMUD is not officially supported on Vista and Win 7 for example.

zMUD and CMUD address the same problem domain, but CMUD is best considered the next generation of MUD client. CMUD was largely re-architected and rebuilt using the lessons learned from zMUD development.

Personally I wouldn't say you wasted your money. I have, and I imagine that you have as well, derived great value from zMUD. zMUD can work under WINE, because several intrepid MUDders have done so, and quick forum search should tell you how they were able to and what version they used. That said, neither zMUD or CMUD are officially supported under WINE or Linux; so while it is possible you are choosing to pursue a new frontier without official support.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:06 pm   

Nobody has gotten zMUD 7.21 to work with Wine 1.2 without buying other linux software to go with it.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:03 pm   

As I said to pursue this you will be tackling new frontiers, but others have had success with past versions. Looking at those may provide insight as to how to get it working with Wine 1.2. Looking at the Wine AppDB for zMUD provides some more insight.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:29 pm   

Well, after a little work and some frustrations, I've finally gotten 7.21 up and running with WINE 1.3.. and almost complete functionality.. The only snafu I'm having currently is with the mapper (yes, I have it loading and drawing rooms), every room it creates has either an 8 or a 0 as the room name, even though the configuration seems to be working properly..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: