Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
talonfreak2003
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:05 am   

Zmud , Windows Vista and Cmud

So, I bought a brand new computer the other day, everythings working nicely except....

Zmud. No errors, just excruciatingly slow.I checked for the "any button macro". When all my triggers are off, it's fine. When my scripts are on, mainly my brewing script/questing script which are fairly large, it bogs down. So I was like "Ok, guess I'll just upgrade to Cmud". Guess what... Cmud doesn't import my scripts. And looking through alot of my scripts would require an extensive overhaul just to run on Cmud. So my options are this I guess:

A) Run Dual Boot with XP and use it for Zmud.
B) Figure out how to make Zmud run faster in Vista.
C) Figure out how to have Cmud incorporate my scripts.

I could do most of my basic triggers in Cmud with relative ease, but my problem is I have 4 LARGE scripts, all over 100kb. Any ideas? Yes, I purchased Zmud (twice infact, once long ago but I lost reg key and didn't know how to retrieve, then a year or two later)
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:10 am   

This is very odd. My scripts in ZMud were over 400kb in size, but they all run just fine under Vista. What's more, after converting them to CMud I only had to make a dozen or so changes to get it working properly.

I honestly don't even have any basis to help you fix the problem. All I can do is wish you luck.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:23 am   

When you say "CMud doesn't import my scripts." Do you mean that it can't import them? Or do you mean it can't run them after importing them?

CMud has made every reasonable effort to maintain backward compatibility with zMud script. Where compatibility had to be broken to allow new features the Compatibilty Report points it out. I would be interested in any script that actually requires a major overhaul to run where the Report didn't spot the required changes. It would help me to suggest improvements in the Report to Zugg. Overall I believe the current public version of CMud has vastly better capabilities then zMud7.21 and nearly perfect stability. Speed wise I find that scripts with only the minimum required changes are faster in CMud, and those that are written to use the new features are even faster.

For your specific situation, it is my considered opinion that the effort to migrate to CMud will be worth it.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:51 pm   

I think he is looking for the "Import Text"

In regards to that, CMUD doesn't have it.
You have to open your script .TXT in notepad (or some other text editor without word wrap, or with word wrap turned off...)
Then copy and paste into either the CMUD command line OR the CMUD Editor (notepad icon on CMUD toolbar, prefferred method).

As Vij pointed out, most scripts will run out of the box, and the few things that wont DO show up in the compatibility report.

Unless you are using a lot of zMUD's "Undocumented" functionality (stuff that was never intended to work the way it does) you should be fine.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:13 am   

You can actually just File->Open any text file with the editor to save having to copy and paste. But yeah, that's the way to do it.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: