Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:39 am   

[1.23] Settings Import Wizard, and Compatibility Report Disp

When I opened Cmud 1.23 for the first time, the import wizard asked if id like to import zmud settings. I clicked yes, but it gave me a popup window (not the same as a crash window) that said something like sorry, cant find zmud file (sorry I didn't write down the exact message)...
Second, when I did get my .mud file imported from my zmud folder, it asked if I wanted to see the compatibility report. I clicked yes, but it did not show it. However when I then went into the settings editor and clicked on compatibility report, it opened the report.
Also, just to make sure I understand this correctly, when I create a new session in cmud, and I click edit session, then select the .mud file for my mud which is stored in the zmud folder, then start that session, cmud converts those zmud settings to cmud by saving it as a .pkg file, but because I've selected my .mud file which resides in my zmud folder, it saves the .pkg file in my zmud folder...? this is supposed to happen, correct? I'm thinking I should copy the .mud file from zmud and place it in the cmud directory prior to doing the convert, or i suppose I could just move the .pkg file afterwards eh?

CONGRATS on having the (Almost) Public Release version out!!!!!
Edit-Sorry I posted this for 1.23 before I realized nearly the same thing was just responded to for 1.22 a couple minutes ago.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:05 am   

In relation to moving your .pkg file - you can do one or the other, or neither. It's up to you where you keep your files - if you do move the file, though, make sure you point CMUD at it again afterwards. A good place would probably be the \packages\ folder or the specific session folder in your Data directory, if you're going to move it.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
adamwalker
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:55 am   

could be the same thing im getting?

sessions window --->
File ----> import zmud settings
message "could not open zmud chardb.db session databse"
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:03 pm   

What version of zMUD are you guys using? It can only import from the more recent versions (since 7.13 I think). Also, check your registry setting in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Zuggsoft and look for the InstallDir key. That tells CMUD where zMUD is installed. Do you have a chardb.db file in that directory?

Jed: Check the Windows taskbar at the bottom of your screen for the Compatibility Report window. It's probably just hidden behind your other CMUD windows.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:53 pm   

Import zMUD settings doesn't work for me either. However, I can't see any registry key that refers to my current zMUD InstallDir.

Maybe what happened for me is related to the fact that I originally installed CMUD 1.00 in my zMUD 7.13 directory. What happened is my HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Zuggsoft/InstallDir key got changed from "C:\zMUD\zMUD.exe" to "C:\zMUD\CMUD.exe"

So now my registry doesn't have a zMUD InstallDir (although my zMUD installation is still in that location).

EDIT: I tried changing the value of the key back to the original and CMUD still can't find zMUD chardb.db. So there is some other problem.

Last edited by Seb on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:57 pm   

Well, it worked fine for me when I tested it earlier. I have zMUD in D:\zMUD and CMUD in D:\CMUD

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 am   

Seb, it only cares about the path, so both should see the C:\zMUD. Is the chardb.db file in the C:\zMUD directory? If so and it's not working, can you email this file so I can try it here? (support@zuggsoft.com)
IainMac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:08 am   

I am also having a problem where the session importer is not "seeing" my chardb file. I have zMUD 7.21 on XP sp2. Did an uninstall of 1.22 and cleared out the directories before re-installing 1.23. When it asked do I want to import my sessions, I said yes and it just did nothing. So tried from the sessions form and got the failed to find chardb message.

Have mailed you my chardb file and a registry file to support.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:20 pm   

OK, this is really wierd. I got IainMac's chardb.db file, but when I put it into my zMUD directory, CMUD can load it just fine using the File/Import zMUD menu item.

Can someone else who is having this problem also please send me their chardb.db file? I'm really confused as to why this isn't working.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:01 pm   

Where is your zMUD installation? Maybe it is not actually reading the location from the registry correctly. I could try moving my chardb.db to the same location as yours is on my computer and see if it works... CMUD doesn't have any problems importing my chardb.db if I put it in the CMUD folder before I run CMUD for the first time.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:31 pm   

I've added an initial screen to the Import Wizard in v1.24 that displays the path that it is trying to use for the import and lets you change it. This should take care of any file path problems.

I was testing IainMac's file in the same directory that his registry entries (which he also sent) showed: C:\Program Files\zMUD.
IainMac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:26 am   

Zugg wrote:
I've added an initial screen to the Import Wizard in v1.24 that displays the path that it is trying to use for the import and lets you change it. This should take care of any file path problems.

Uninstalled 1.23 and deleted the directories and then downloaded and installed the 1.24 version. From the sessions form I did the File->Import zMUD sessions and all I got was the unable to find chardb.db message box. Where can I find the Import Wizard that you talk about ?

As an asside, I have been using CMUD since 1.01 so might it be some registry entries left lying arround ?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:36 am   

The File/Import menu in the Session window is the one that fires up the wizard. The only way to get that error message is if it fails to create the wizard window, which really shouldn't happen in 1.24.

I know this sounds wierd, but try moving your chardb.db file to a *different* directory (not the directory that zMUD is installed). This should allow the wizard to open and then prompt you for the location of the chardb.db file. You'll need to also copy the ZMUD.EXE file to the same directory as the CHARDB.DB file to fool the wizard into thinking that this is the zMUD install location. But you might get a better error message that will help determine the problem.

I can't get it to fail at all here, but if someone else is having trouble, please post so that I'll know how critical this issue is. Or, if it's also working fine for you, let me know. If this is effecting a lot of people then I might need to fix it. But right now I have no idea what to fix.
IainMac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:11 am   

Zugg wrote:
The File/Import menu in the Session window is the one that fires up the wizard. The only way to get that error message is if it fails to create the wizard window, which really shouldn't happen in 1.24.

Can not make the wizard to appear. Things I have tried to get the wizard to appear:
- Renamed my chardb.db file to _chardb.db
- Above plus renamed my zMUD directory to bMUD
- Moved the contents of my zMUD directory into the CMUD directory and changed the installDir regkey.
- Above plus renamed my chardb.db file to _chardb.db
- Moved my zMUD directory to another drive.
- Above plus renamed my InstallDir and ZMUD reg keys to have a BAD prefix.

All those just give me the "Could not open zMUD chardb.db session database" dialogue box. Anything else I can try ?
crycry
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:00 am   

if you cant get the wizard to run, you could always just copy your old .mud file to the cmud directory, then open the .mud file as package, that will import as it always did.

XP Pro SP2
cMud 1.24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:59 pm   

Tried all the things you listed Zugg and could not get the wizard to run - just the failed to find chardb.db message. No sign of the wizard even after uninstalling and reinstalling Cmud.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:37 pm   

I have uploaded a new version of v1.24 that adds additional information to the error message when it can't open the zMUD Import wizard. So if you are having this problem, download it again (I didn't change the version number). When you try to open the zMUD Import wizard, you should get an additional line in the error message that should tell me more about what the problem might be.
jat63
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:03 pm   

Great news, the new vesion works fine for me and imported the zMUD files without a problem. The wizard came straight up and no error messages were shows. Sorry if this does not help track down the bug (if there is one) but it helps put that last bit of usability in Cmud for me.

I hope you have a good rest and I look forward to seeing where you can take the CMUD in the new year.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:01 pm   

Woohoo. Wierd though. I think maybe Delphi had the database path to my test database cached and when I recompiled it that fixed it. Anyway, glad this is working with just that quick patch.
IainMac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:55 pm   

Confirmed that the new "patched" 1.24 has fixed my Import Wizard not appearing problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: