Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
OxnyxWS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:41 pm   

CMUD and Vista

Hi Zuggy,

Just wanted to give you the heads up that telnet is not in Vista. Thru my basic tests dumpping a copy of telnet.exe from XP into Windows\System32 on a Vista box and running it at the command works.

I am not sure what if anything cMUD is calling that was moved out of Vista however at this time MS offical line is that there is to be no telnet moving forward.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:17 am   

Granted there are free ware tools.. but I'm having trouble understanding why they would remove something as basic as telnet. I, for one use it quite often. Is it possible that it was just in that particular version? Say Home vs Professional or Ultimate?
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:39 am   

Wow, I'm surprised that Microsoft did this. I think I know why...Telnet was still 16-bit code (it uses WINSOCK.DLL instead of WSOCK32.DLL). But it seems like it would have been pretty easy to port it to 32-bit.

Oh well, more market share for CMUD and the new SSH client Razz

In any case, zMUD/CMUD doesn't call any of the Windows telnet stuff. And they both use WSOCK32.DLL so it should be fine. Several people have already been running CMUD on Vista. Looks like there are issues sometimes with some OLE calls that I'm not sure about, but it works for most people.

I won't actually get a chance to test CMUD on Vista myself until they release the public version, and even then it might be a month or so. I don't have many computers to try Vista on, and I probably won't put Vista on my Development system for quite a while because of potential issues with Delphi not working. I'll probably end up having to upgrade VMWare and run Vista in a virtual box for a while. At least until Vista is nice and stable.

Remember that I've committed to supporting CMUD on Vista...but I haven't promised when. People who want to be on the bleeding edge and actually want to trust Microsoft enough to run Vista when it first comes out can probably expect problems.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:06 pm   

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 was released as free software a little while ago. Maybe they'll release a new free version with an update to work smoothly with Vista. :D
saet
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:21 pm   

Why not dual boot?
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:35 pm   

A VM gives you more control over the file system and what the guest OS can mess with on your hard drive. If Vista crashes hard (which it can during the beta testing phases), you don't want it to take down your primary development system. You can also migrate a VM from machine to machine, if you really need to move it elsewhere.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:46 am   

Yeah, I've actually had nightmares with dual-booting. Also, with VMWare I can easily run a virtual machine while I'm doing other stuff at the same time (like running Delphi). Makes it a lot easier to debug a problem compared to booting back and forth between systems. I'm sure VMWare will be updated to handle Vista. But it's probably going to be an upgrade that I'll have to pay for, so I just hope it's not too expensive.
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:38 pm   

I've been running Vista in VMWare since Beta 1. Other than the Aero UI not running fully, it is running just fine.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:12 pm   

So you're aware, telnet client is included in Vista, just not installed by default.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: