Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
moonwlf
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:34 pm   

[1.12] Preferences not always restoring

I've noticed some odd behavior with the preferences settings. This does not occur every time so I haven't been able to accurately duplicate this. The font and button toolbar settings are the one I have been noticing. They seem to get reset to default. It may be if closing cmud after a error occured that the settings are not saved properly.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:22 pm   

If an error occurs, then it can certainly prevent things from saving properly depending upon where the error happened. Also, do you have multiple windows open? Make sure you are setting the font and toolbar settings or the correct window. The Preferences dialog will always tell you which window you are editing the preferences for in the caption, so double-check that to make sure you are setting the options for the window you think you are.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 pm   

I think this one has been happening since day 1... every so often my tick timer forgets that it is supposed to be enabled, things like that. I haven't been able to pin it down to anything specific though, just that it's been happening to me in every version so far.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:24 pm   

I've noticed similar with default fonts and ansi colours whenever upgrading to new versions. Again, not been able to pin it down to something specific
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:47 pm   

Well, I can't reproduce this myself, so I can't decide if it's user error (like clicking on a child Tell window and accidentally changing it's properties instead of the main window), or the result of a previous crash (an access violation might lock the database and prevent preferences from saving in that particular session), or what.

If you *ever* run into a case where the fonts or colors didn't save, then immediately exit CMUD and email me your *.PKG file along with a description of what you thought you changes the colors to. I can then look at the database to see if there is something corrupted.

But there is nothing "special" about the fonts or colors. All preferences are stored in the "config" table within the PKG SQL database. Each preference has an ID field and a value field. Fonts and colors are just records in this table just like any other boolean preference value.
moonwlf
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:30 pm   

The package file I use is an converted .mud file that I've been updating to cmud. The interface layout I have has 1 main window and 4 chat windows as well as a button bar 3 aligned to the right. I would say at that 70%+ of the time that I start cmud I have to go through and reset my font and then reset the button bar that gets reset to the top. when I edit the preferences I do make sure I am editing the main package preferences.

Another thing is that I do not use packages on my chat windows but still have to go through each chat window and uncheck all the packages everytime I start cmud or I get trigger loops on my chat windows.

I've been thinking that one or more of the packages may be corrupt which is causing this.
Fergal1982
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:50 pm   

i have to back this issue up. im having issues where i change the MUD so that the text changes, it doesnt auto-reconnect, or echo the commands, and sometimes if i exit and restart, the settings revert to default (even if im not restarting due to an error).

ill watch out for this happening again and email you the pkg file when it next happens.
hogarius
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:21 am   

Zugg, I've had this problem too; in fact, I've written you about it. I play Simutronics' Modus Operandi, by the way. I was trying to add one preference at a time, closing CMUD and restarting CMUD to see if I could narrow down the problem. I had added a couple of custom colors to my ANSI foreground colors, and modified three colors of the 16 from the defaults. I also had changed the output font to Verdana and the command line font to Lucida Console, and changed the Simutronics > GSL Prompt from "> " (with a space at the end) to ">" (with no space at the end). The change I made that caused some settings to revert back to their defaults in the main MUD window after closing CMUD was adding a chat window named "Communicator" at the top of the screen. The next time I ran CMUD, my output font, ANSI foreground colors and GSL Prompt had reverted back to the defaults. Other changes I had made to the preferences seemed to be saved correctly. I'll try to get you more details on what changes I had made and how I set up the chat window when I have the chance.
Fergal1982
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:32 am   

pkg file sent to you zugg.

Fergal
Fergal1982
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:32 pm   

ive just upgraded to 1.15, and this seems to have resolved this, at least partially. the colours, command echoing and auto-reconnect all seem to be saving now. the only two things that arent saving are:

1. when i load the mud it creates a second window at the top of the screen. the size of this window is around 50% of the available real estate. when i log in i reset this to about 1/3 of the screen.

2. i highlight the main window and select the option to not show caption

however, neither of these settings are maintained (ive resaved too. hell, ive even highlighted each window and saved the layout to a different xly file.

I've also noticed that i can resize the windows even with the 'lock layout' option ticked.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:22 pm   

Locking a layout will never prevent windows from being resized. There is no way to do that without screwing with the Windows resize routines and causing all sorts of wierd side effects.

I couldn't reproduce the problem with the resized height not saving. The layout seems to save this just fine, so make sure you have the Use Layout option selected for your session in the Edit/Files tab.

I'll check into the Show Caption problem...that's something I should be able to fix.
Fergal1982
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:13 pm   

Its weird. this seems to have resolved itself now. seemed like it took a few attempts to make the change though.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:34 pm   

It's possible that your packages had some corruption from the bad bugs in 1.13 that took a couple of saves to get fixed. The files attempt to fix themselves when it detects some of the problems from old versions to keep old pkg files as compatible as possible.

Anyway, if it shows up again, let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: