Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:40 am   

How do I safely create a new sign in for a new character on an existing site

For some reason I cannot easily create a new character icon that only loads the new character. I have lost aliases from previous characters, cannot get the charatcer to automatically load and sign-in even though i can see sign data and aliases in tree It makes me regret moving aliases into CMUD.

I am almost to point of going back to an another client.

Here is what I try to do. I right click an icon that has the signin info and aliases that I want to use. I then go to the copy and and edit to put in correct character name and sign in info. I change the tab to name I associate with the character, the tab doesn't reflect the new name the next time i load. I have then tried saving, quitting CMUD and then restart it and then click on the new icon, or have just gone to start game line. In both instances it I will load two instances of the sign -in. If I use the shift key start there is only one instance. If I retry to load after quitting with the correct layout, a single click puts me again into a double load situation. The character doesn't seem to load either.

I have also lost some of my the orginal characters aliases ... i am guessing they are gone beause I cut them from the treee of the new chartacter.

I am asking how do I create a new character login that will only load the one tab related to the character for a single or double click of an icon, and safely add the aliases I want to use from the copied character.

Oh and I'm using version 1.26
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:16 pm   

Looking at a character I have currnetly connected to the MUD with in the character editor I see the automatic login set-up and filled in. On the right of the screen where the settings ccan be seen the login stuff in the package editor is not seen. If I quit the mud and let CMUD automatically restart automatix login does not occur:( Are these part and parcel of the same issues?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:34 pm   

Don't copy the session - either click New Session and fill in the details yourself, or change to the MUD Connector tab and choose your MUD from the list. This'll let you use the autologin for both characters.

If you have aliases you want to share between characters, then create a new .pkg file and put them in there. Then add the new file to the list of packages for both sessions by right-clicking the icon, going to the file tab, pressing the plus button and navigating to the file.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:23 pm   

Thanks for the suggestions Fang. I've tried the clean setup of a an icon a number of times already. Will try one more time. Failed again :( Any more suggestons :)

The results after I closed CMUD and restarted it was that I searched for the MUD from the list of MUD sites. (Just filling in info gave same problems as in the past.) Clicked on the MUD entry and then went through sign-up on-line and an auto login setup screen appeared ...which i filled in. I then quit the MUD, closed the screen and was put back into the Character selection window. Everything I would expect has happened correctly so far. I then looked for a new icon with the info I had filled. Nothing was found :( Instead a previous icon for that MUD ...which had no sign-on info associated with it other than the MUD address and port and the MUD name has been high jacked and now shows the info for my recent attempt to sign in.

By the way I've previously attempted to reinstall CMUD so I could do a clean install, that did not work either. I am frustrated since I've deleted some on-line aliases and had transferred them over to CMUD. After the reinstall the icons advertising selected sites did not reappear if I had deleted tehm previously. I'm not sure if this is CMUD related, but since the only program I've actively been working with on this machine is CMUD I believe the two are associated. I had a major freeze and had to do a number of reboots and had to go through set-up so the machine knew where my hard drives were.

I have 5 characters for this mud and I am nervous about starting the last three up via CMUD in case I cause problems for their entries. Two of the characters info and aliases have been trashed so far:(

Once I get clean working icons I will attempt to create packages to share aliases.
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:54 pm   

Sorry for being a pain but any other ideas about what I can try? I am not able to setup a new link to the MUD!!
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:23 pm   

Quote:
How do I safely create a new sign in for a new character on an existing site

Easy don't copy and paste the session icon create a new one from scratch.
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:26 pm   

I'm sorry I said I have tried that a number of times, and tried it once more after Fang suggested that. It isn't working!
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:49 pm   

Currently there are "issues" with creating new sessions here is how I do it.

1. Create a new session (follow these exactlyish)
Session Title: MUDNAME (Just the MUDNAME nothing else no spaces etc just use a one word mudname)
Mud host: MUDHOST
Mud Port: MUDPORT

2. Save and connect then close
This will create a MUDNAME.PKG file in the MUDNAME directory (our "shared" package where put in autologin trigs alias' for all chars etc)

3. Back at the session selection screen <right click> on the MUDNAME session icon then on rename change it to CHARNAME on MUDNAME (There is a bug in the Edit->SessionTitle this will get around it)
now <right click> on the session icon and EDIT goto the char tab and enter the same CHARNAME from above and PASSWORD in the fields.
4. Save and Close edit session window

To create another char for the same mud start again from step 1. and follow it exactly again using a differant CHARNAME

This way all sessions will use the MUDNAME.PKG file as their primary file then if you have specific char triggers/alias/settings etc you can go into the settings editor and add a new package called something like MYCHAR or WARRIORCLASS etc to have char specific pkg file.

Please note this is just one way to do it.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:16 pm   

I personally would use different packages for the main session package and keep session-specific settings in those packages. You can use a separate shared package for settings you want for both characters.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:17 am   

Thanks for ideas. I deleted CMUD and manually removed aliases,files,folders and registry information that were not removed by windows remove programs function. I then reloaded and upgraded CMUD to vers 1.26. I have so far gotten one of the 5 session logins setup. It took a number of tries deleting and rerecording the setup information before I had a session icon that works sometimes. I selected all defaults and have not changed any suggested names other than the name of the character.

By the way why if I go through either explorer to the new folder for my character or the find target from the CMUD icon, the new folder is not visible and does not show even with all hidden files and folder flags changed so they should be seen. I know it is there because I see it when I try to add a package and see the new folder in the tree above the standard settings folder. Is this a problem?

CMUD version 1.26 and Windows XP home edition.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:47 pm   

Cmud changed the default location for your char data to my documents/my games/

So check in your my documents folder.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:35 pm   

I am not sure what is causing all of the trouble with this. It's really very easy.

First, to understand that your aliases are stored in a *.PKG file. Your character name and password are stored with the session icon. So what it sounds like you need are two different session icons with different character names and passwords that are both connected to the same *.PKG file.

As Fang mentioned, it's better to let each character have it's own primary PKG file and then simply include the common PKG file in the list of loaded packages. But I'll tell you how to do both.

First method: Using the same pkg file
1) Click the New Session action and fill in the Title for the icon (like "Char1 on MUDname") and fill in the MUD's hostname and port.
2) Click the Save and Close button
3) Click the Edit Session action and go to the Files tab. Make a note of the Filename and Path information for that session.
4) Click the New Session action again and fill in the Title for the 2nd icon (like "Char2 on MUDname") and fill in the MUD's hostname and port.
5) Click the Edit Session action and go to the Files tab. Click the Browse button and locate the PKG file that you noted in step 3.
Now, connect to each character twice to trigger the auto-login detection. It will fill in the character name and password for each session icon. To connect to both sessions, connect to the first icon, then, once connected, select the second session icon from the drop-down list on the Sessions button in the toolbar. I just tried this here and it used the proper character name/password for each session.

Second method: Copy/Paste
You mentioned that you tried this, but I can't get it to fail.
1) Right-click on an existing session icon and select Copy
2) Right-click and select Paste. You now have two identical session icons
3) Select the new session and click the Edit Session to change the Title of the session so that you can keep track of which is which. Go to the Characters tab and fill in the character name/password of the second session.
4) Now connect to the first session...it logs in using the original charname/password of the original session. Select the second session from the drop-down list on the Sessions button in the toolbar. It creates a new window and logs in using the new charname/password. I can switch between windows using the Window menu, and I can drag/drop the windows so that both are docked together and visible. Seems to work fine here.

Renaming the "tab" does not rename the session icon. Each *.PKG file defines the windows and their names. Since you are sharing the *same* PKG file for both sessions, the window tab is going to have the same name for each session. There is no way to have a different name for each window because you are sharing the *same* file for each window which defines the window properties. The only way to have a different window name is to put your aliases into a shared package, as Fang mentioned, and then just add that shared package to each session.

Method 3: Using a Shared Package (the preferred method)
This is the new method that CMUD was designed to use. Method's 1 & 2 could be used in zMUD, but suffered from many problems. CMUD has a much more flexible method to share settings.
1) Just close the Session selection screen when CMUD first starts. Click the Settings button in the toolbar to open the Package Editor
2) Select File/New Package and give your package a name. This will be the package that contains the aliases to be shared between your sessions
3) Start creating your aliases within this package.
4) Go back to the Sessions window. Create two session icons with different titles. Go to the Files tab of each session and make sure each session has it's own unique Filename.
5) In the Files tab, click the + button to add a package to the list. Locate the package that you created in step 2. Add this package to the package list for each session icon.

This allows each session to keep it's own settings. Each session will have it's own window, which you can name differently for each session if you wish. But since each session loads the shared package that you created in step 2, each session will have access to the same aliases. But you will also be able to have character-specific aliases if you wish to. Just be sure to remember to add aliases that you want to be shared to the shared package. When you open the Package Editor for your session, you will see the shared package as a separate tab that you can click on to add more shared aliases.

Anyway, in v1.26 I am not aware of any bugs with the copy/paste of session icons, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting that you don't use copy/paste. It's only copy/paste in the *Package Editor* that has problems that I'm aware of.

You mentioned that you got 5 session logins setup but it took a number of tried deleting and rerecording the setup info before you have a session icon that worked. But I am not seeing any problems with creating session icons, so I'd need to know *exactly* how you are trying to create these sessions and exactly what you are clicking on and what you are typing.

You also said something about "I then reloaded and upgraded CMUD to vers 1.26". I'm not sure what you are "reloading" and then upgrading. What aren't you just installing v1.26 directly? Are you loading some older version and then upgrading? You shouldn't do that...you should just install 1.26 by itself. But maybe you are already doing that and it just wasn't clear.

If also sounds like you might not be looking in the right place for your files. Using the default installer settings, your PKG files and sessions will be written to your My Documents/My Games/CMUD directory. When doing a clean install, make sure you delete the files in this directory or else CMUD will still be loading your old files, which might be corrupted from previous versions.

Uninstallers never delete user-created settings. These *.PKG files with your aliases are like Saved Games in other game software, and uninstalling games usually doesn't uninstall your saves. So you'll need to delete the files in My Documents/My Games/CMUD manually to get rid of any old files.
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:47 pm   

Zugg and others thanks for the detailed followup. I ended up setting up each character from scratch by copying the mud location into a new session. When I tried double clicking the listing in the mud list a new icon was not created. I have been using the new session icons for the past 24 hours and everything seems to now be working.
Quote:

Anyway, in v1.26 I am not aware of any bugs with the copy/paste of session icons, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting that you don't use copy/paste. It's only copy/paste in the *Package Editor* that has problems that I'm aware of.

I have completed the setup of my various characters using Fang and your suggestion of a separate primary .pkg file. What was happening when copying icons earlier and during the setups I went through yesterday was the .pkg file for both copied and new characters were retaining the earliest or last loaded name and password in the character name window for the Discworld Mud. Note this happened in creating a new session and if I copied a session icon. I earlier had deleted the name and passwords during a session edit but the deletion did not stick if you changed to another tab. The name of the character in the tab would also not stick between sessions and had to be changed each time. I had to explicitly go into the edit session on the icon and manually delete the character name and password and save information before changing to another tab in the session edit. Once the earlier sign-in info was deleted the sequence of steps you outline was followed.
In addition if a previous character was loaded and offline during the creation of and loading of a new charcater the previous characters .pkg were also limked to the new character.

Quote:

You also said something about "I then reloaded and upgraded CMUD to vers 1.26". I'm not sure what you are "reloading" and then upgrading. What aren't you just installing v1.26 directly? Are you loading some older version and then upgrading?

Sorry I had version 1.13 I think on my machine and loaded that first and then upgraded.

Just to let you know ...in spite of my problems I am enjoying using CMUD when I am on-line :)
Ron Marks
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:53 pm   

Per Arminas

Quote:

Cmud changed the default location for your char data to my documents/my games/

I understand. That is my point. The folder I was referring to could not be seen or found in that location using explorer . I was able to find and delete all the other folders in the location you mention but not the one I could only see in the session edit window.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:05 pm   

Quote:
Sorry I had version 1.13 I think on my machine and loaded that first and then upgraded.

Ouch!! 1.13 was quite a while ago, and if I recall correctly one of the more problematic betas... definitely want to go with the clean install in that case! Very Happy

Glad to hear you're up and running now though.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:04 pm   

Ouch is right! Definitely don't install 1.13 and then upgrade...just install 1.26 directly. Delete all old beta versions...they have a huge number of bugs and problems.

Anyway, I'm also working on the New Session interface in v1.27 to make some of this a bit easier. It will let you change the folder and filename directly in the New Session dialog so that it's easier to override the default file settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: