Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
eupher
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:26 am   

command line specification of setting file?

I have one main settings file for the mud I play. I then have an inherited settings file for each character I have on that mud. The inherited settings file stores character specific configurations in variables. I'm trying to create a configuration script to use when I add a new character, so that the character specific variables get stored in the inherited file, not the primary one. If they are in the primary one then they get used for all the characters, so they don't save as I go back and forth between the different characters. Is there any way to specify which setting file to create a variable (or other setting for that matter) in on the command line? It's kind of a hassle to go in, open the settings editor, open the inherited file, and manually create all the variables in the settings editor for each character.

Thanks,
Eupher
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:22 pm   

Well first of all your inherited file should be the common one

From the helpfile:
Edit Character (Files Information)

Each character can have two Settings Files: Primary and Inherited. When zMUD loads your character, it first loads any settings in the DEFAULT.MUD file. This is used to initialize many zMUD settings and cannot be disabled. Next, settings in your Inherited Settings file are loaded. Most people do not use this feature, but it allows you to set up common settings that you want to share between several characters. Inherited settings files can be in the current directory or folder, or can also be stored in the directory containing the ZMUD.EXE file. After loading your Inherited Settings file, then your Primary Settings file is loaded. It contains settings specific for this character.

--------------------------------------------------------------

After you get the files switched around correctly
In char window click the icon then click edit and switch inherited and primary around

Here are some refrences that might help you.

Variables and inherited files:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11962&highlight=inherited

Why you can't create vars is inherited files, (not all topic is about)
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9899&highlight=inherited

Here is what happens when zmud starts a char.
First it opens global(or default).mud I forget which and loads the settings into memory
Then it loads whatever file is set in the inherited file into memory
Then it loads your primary file (editable) into memory.

Any changes to primary happen immediatly and any changes to inhertied happen on next restart so don't use Vars in your inherited let your inherited file write your vars to your primary file. etc etc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: