Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
galeron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:33 am   

Questions about using paths

Im using zmud7 and i dont want to have to manually make aliases to go in reverse from the aliases i have made

Example:

hometomob: n;n;n;ne;s
mobtohome: n;sw;s;s;s

so i checked out the paths option and noticed u can do a reverse walk. every time I try it the speedwalk TO the mob is correct but the speedwalk inr everse always gets screwed up. Mostly has problems when doing ne, nw, se, sw. I read the help file it says to enter them in under show directions, I did so.

Example:

Direction: p
reverse: j
command: sw|southwest
Map: Southwest

Direction: j
reverse: p
command: ne|northeast
Map: NorthEast

And now under the path (for the above example) I entered:

Pathname: hometomob
directions: n;n;n;j;s

That gets me to the mob ok when i hit the "Speedwalk button"
but when I get there and then hit "Reverse walk" I get problems.

Anyone notice or suspect anything that I am doing wrong?
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:41 am   

I don't think your supposed to seperate the commands with ; in speedwalks change the path to this and see if it works in reverse

pathname hometomob
directions nnnjs
galeron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:04 pm   

that did the trick! thanks

another question:

when i substituded P for sw , f for se , etc...

can i do the same thing in order to make the path open a door or perhaps another command such as touch portal, etc....
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:54 pm   

Things like "touch portal" you would have to seperate with semicolons. Just make sure to include a period with the next set of commands. For example:
4nesw;touch portal;.15e2s

You might also want to make seperate reverse paths for this, as touching the portal might only be valid in one direction. If you planing on having more then 15 or so paths it really becomes worth it to start using the mapper. Once you perfect the configuration mapping tends to go rather quickly on most muds. For the mud I play I can map 100+ rooms an hour even with 10 seconds delay to get and record the mud's vNum for those rooms. This rate will of course vary based on how well the designers of areas were about letting rooms be a consistent spacing. In city locations on my mud where the streets are consistent, but buildings off them have a different size my mapping rate drops to probably 50 rooms an hour. This is mainly due to shifting large portions of the map to make room for buildings, although it also includes adding data to my sytem about shops and mobs that supply equipment.

The final benefit of all that effort is that you can double-click on a room in the map and be walked directly there from any other known location. As I say, if you plan on having 15+ paths it is worth it to just map it out.
galeron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:59 am   

Well I got the reverse pather to work....somewhat

But to be honest I am still getting into what Zmud can do, most of my aliases are still stored in the mud not on zmud. I would really like to get into other things like the mapper, database, etc.. But am I the only one having trouble finding good help files for the new zmud 7? Does anyone know of a place where I can get more info into all those # commands? The help file reads more like a reference manual than a how-to.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:40 pm   

Try the Getting Started section of the zMUD help files (use the Contents tab). Also check the Support Library (use the Support link at the top of the page). The zMUD Book Chapters were mostly written as a how-to guide. They were written for version 4.62, so they won't include all the latest features, but they still cover the basics well.

Most scripts in this forum are written for Command Line entry.
Don't even open the Settings Editor unless its use is specified or obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: