Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
arsnik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:41 pm   

Cmud Licensing

If I make the move from zmud to cmud. When does the license timer start as far as upgrades are concerned.

Meaning I know I get 2 years up free upgrades. Does this period start after the final product is released, or the second I make the purchase?

In addition I qualify fo the 50% beta offer. When I click on purchase that offer didn't populate.

On last question... how many machines can I install this product on. I am about to upgrade my laptop and desktop. If I uninstall Cmud from both of these before doing the upgrade will this reset the number of clients I am allows the install the product on? I know with the old licensing with Zmud this was not an issue. However the new licensing appears to track things a bit more closely.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:07 pm   

The timer starts with your purchase date. However, the two years isn't really a hard limit. It's really "two years or until the next major release, whenever it longer". In other words, minor updates are free.

For example, let's say you buy CMUD today. Then in 1 year and 11 months we release a major version 5.0. Since you are within your 2 years, you get the 5.0 upgrade for free. Then, let's say that 5.01 is released two months later (so 2 years and 1 month after your original purchase). Since this is a minor upgrade, you still get it for free. Then let's say that the 6.0 major version is released a couple of months later. Since 6.0 is a major version and it is released after the 2 year deadline, then you need to pay half price to upgrade to it (or you can keep using 5.01 which would continue to work forever).

To get the 50% discount, be sure you log into the store system first. Once you are logged into the store system, then add CMUD to your cart and it should show the discount. If it doesn't send your original purchase details to us at support@zuggsoft.com and we will look into it.

The license agreement that is displayed when you run CMUD covers the details. Basically, CMUD is licensed to you as a *user*. It doesn't care how many machines you load it on. It doesn't count any number of clients or anything. You don't need to "unlicense" or uninstall CMUD anymore like you did with zMUD. The new licensing in CMUD actually tracks stuff much less than the older zMUD eLicense system. If you have been using the newer zMUD 7.21, then the CMUD licensing is exactly the same. See the License FAQ for answers to other licensing questions.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:09 pm   

Edit: You beat me to the reply Zugg

The license timer starts when you've purchased the product, not when the final product is released. You get the discount during the beta though to offset this.
I'm not sure about the offer not appearing for you, it's been a few months since I purchased CMUD and can't remember if the discount appeared right away or if I needed to get through to the last stage of buying before it appeared. Does the zMUD purchase show up in your order history for the online store?

For installing on multiple machines, it's been asked previously
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25065
From that post, Zugg said
Quote:
...Using the newer licensing system, zMUD/CMUD are licensed to the *user* rather than to the computer. The limit of 3 computers was removed. You can install it on as many computers as you want...

Guinn
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: