Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
TheLastHawk
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:39 am   

Oy!!!

Alright....
I kind of went rhrough the posts regarding the module and windows and all and it kind of made me have a headake actually. Its not just the beta part of this but its the actualy coding as well and the ways to make the stuff...

I am glad that its become more and more intriquate(sp) and such but also got to think of those that is not as well versed in the ways this whole thing is setup. and ppl like me thats 25% versed in things.

Example for me...I capture texts and use communication as the main capturing place and would capture replies, ooc, osay, tells, group talk and guild talk into that same window.

It use to be that you just did a #cap "windowsname" and it would sent that to this place...however with the 1.03 version of CMUD I thought id do a few additional things, like keep count of my mastery forms and how often it hits etc and so I did not want to have the same package so I went into the setting and made a few new packages, one called communication, one called basic and one called forms...with the new code for some reason these all shows up as windows as if I was actually opening them as windows...thats the thing I can not understand...

It has in a way become to complicated for someone like me to understand how to easely capture the text or commands or numbers and present them in what I would call windows, things I created with the window command...

Sure your gonna say go over to zMUD since thats way simpler however there are thing in CMUD that zMUD does not have, the ability to unlock the window and place it anywhere and the ability to move the command line for example, those are important to me as well as the themse and its just not possible to do those things in zMUD so i try my best to learn how to do these things, but its aggrivating that just when I think I got a handle on a thing, it changes or something is changed so what I learned I now have to unlearn and try another approach.....

One thing I learned in all this last day or so is that I will not make any kind of heavy script in CMUD cause in all likelyhood the script/triggers etc I do make will not work in the next version and certainly not in the public one...

Thats just my few cents worth of thoughts...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:04 am   

Once again TheLastHawk, you miss the point of BETA TESTING and should just stop using CMUD at this point.

Of course the simple stuff will EVENTUALLY work just as easily in CMUD as in zMUD. These are called BUGS. What's the point of just replicating zMUD with fancier colors? No point at all. The purpose of CMUD is to be BETTER than zMUD, but this takes TIME. It took 10 years to develop zMUD. CMUD has had about 9 months. It's a complete rewrite. The entire underlying architecture has been changed to provide opportunities in the future for improvements that were not possible in zMUD. Obviously it's going to take time and effort to get it working as well as zMUD, especially when I'm more focused on core architecture issues.

And it sounds like you haven't even given 1.05 a real try. #CAPTURE? #WINDOW? Both work better than in 1.03. Just because it was screwed up in 1.03 doesn't mean that's the way it's going to be forever. That's why there are new versions. And there will be a *lot* of new versions before CMUD is declared ready for a PUBLIC release.

If you aren't willing to read and try to understand the posts in this forum, then it's too early to be using CMUD. We have all told you this over in the other thread. CMUD is not intended for the "novice" user yet. It is not intended for the majority of people. That's why I charge money for the Beta. Only die-hard users who are willing to trawl through all the bugs and help me reproduce them should be using CMUD at this point.

When CMUD is ready for more novice users, I'll be sending an email out to *all* zMUD users.

But if you are going to get aggravated over bugs and fixes and then more bugs, then stop using CMUD. Otherwise, with these early beta versions I *guarentee* that things are going to keep changing and keep aggravating you.

Most companies have *private* beta testing. I don't like that approach. I think *anyone* should be able to beta test, but only when they understand what beta testing means and are willing to work with it. You just need to pretend that CMUD doesn't even exist yet and wait until we announce that it is ready for more novice users.

Quote:
One thing I learned in all this last day or so is that I will not make any kind of heavy script in CMUD cause in all likelyhood the script/triggers etc I do make will not work in the next version and certainly not in the public one...

Good! That's exactly how you are supposed to treat early beta testing. For example, during beta testing of major online games, it is not uncommon to completely wipe your character and force you to start from scratch.

Now, *real* beta testers will make complex scripts in CMUD (see edb and others for examples), even though they *know* that they will probably have to redo their work. They do this work because they know it will make CMUD better in the end. That's the kind of mentality that you need for beta testing.
internetgamer007
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:20 am   

I seem to recall an old wives tale... something about "putting your eggs in one basket."

So why on earth (no matter how much better cMud seems at this point) would someone use BETA software so intensely and then get bent out of shape when it doesn't work? My god, the concept of software BETA TESTING has been around for more than 20 years (on a public level anyhow). This is not a new concept! It's like cooking your food in a microwave before the front door was even factory installed, then complaining that your arms are burnt...

"How could this happen! Fix it!"

It's technically not broken if it's still an incomplete product!!! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: