Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
TheLastHawk
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:29 pm   

Why change and change and change???

Alright... I am highly agitated...
Why?
Cause first and foremost one thing I absolutely hated about zMUD was that when you created a session and its on the same mud but NOT the same char it somehow always automaticly assumed that since you connecting to that same mud then its the same char and you automaticly imported their setting... this is not the fregging case....

I got a char thats a warrior with warrior settings etc and I created a channeler and start to log in and presto the channie got the warriors triggers etc and guess what happens when I trry to remove or delete those settings....it not reacting at ALL to the new settings or triggers and starts to bug the fregg out.... This is highly annoying since I actually had it working in the 1.03 version and the 1.04 version suddenly start popping up with all the god**** windows and instead of having multiple classes as I had with 1.03 I got a load of windows and NONE of them work together with the others....

So yeah, this whole thing convert to 1.04 has totally ruined my settings etc and I am aware its a BETA and all but why go from something that works to something thats totally out of your mind....WHAT???

Why did you even play with the class settings to make the windows appear and not just let them be class settings, now I can't get them to work and I can't even redo aliases cause guess what...it crashes when I try to make an alias....GAWD!!!

This is so insanely annoying that insane...

want specifics to fix?
1. get the god**** creating alias script working
2. stop the insane settings windows from popping up, they should not even been seen since they are just settings and classes...why have a special window open for that??
3. your specificly saying that you do not care so much about importing from one version to another but why change is so much that you can't even export and then import the stuff and have to redo every single trigger and alias??? and with alias not being able to be typed in thats not even working
4. make it so you CAN export to txt files or something a LOT easier to import or cut/past than fregging xml files cause if you try to export from one xml file and import into another session its not even working at all...

and yes, I am highly agitated cause I _do_ spend a countless hours creating these variable/triggers/aliases/etcwhatever so every change like this is insanly time consuming for me...
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:39 pm   

Dude, take a chill pill. This is for playing games. There are other things to get aggravated at, and playing with BETA software is not.

"and yes, I am highly agitated cause I _do_ spend a countless hours creating these variable/triggers/aliases/etcwhatever so every change like this is insanly time consuming for me..."

Your reaction tells me that you should not be using CMud at all. You should have been reading the beta forums regularly to alert you of these breaking changes. Zugg has been very transparent here. If you can't be bothered to keep up with this forum, then I can't be bothered to feel sympathy for you.

I suggest you take a deep breath, and use zMUD for your regular mudding. You should wait until CMud is out of BETA for you to play with. Playing with beta software takes a lot of tinkering and patience.
TheLastHawk
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:15 pm   

If i can't be bothered to keep up reading the forum? pluease then tell me where exacly does it say that aliases stop working??? or that classes will stop working together??? where o mighty adept do these things gets discussed??
saet
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:16 pm   

I can't believe he was using 1.03 for playing before. I'm amazed.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:36 pm   

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24214

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24212

theres two links that discuss problems with aliases. Both created prior to your topic.

As a beta tester you should know to create backups of all files prior to upgrading to new releases. Specifically for this very reason. In addition beta is NEVER meant to be run in production (As your primary application). Its meant to be run along side the working copy of zmud.

Zmud you use in your daily programming life
Cmud you TEST out features and things so it can be a stabile product.

As for quirking out. Totally inappropriate.

WHY CHANGES CHANGES CHANGES

Cause its BETA BETA BETA BETA and he wants to improve it. This sometimes means things inadvertantly get broken its part of beta.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:53 pm   

Ahuem, EDB, I made the first one of those....at the first time after I installed 1.04, if you check the name of the poster.... and the second is editing, not creating aliases.

"Cause its BETA BETA BETA BETA and he wants to improve it. This sometimes means things inadvertantly get broken its part of beta."

Improve? Improve?? Does alias stop working meaning its improved?
Tell me where it has improved my mudding experience and ill tell you 3 times where it made it worse...
TheLastHawk
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:59 pm   

And get this straight, I do LOVE CMUD, its awesome code, but it is infuriating to have to redo all your stuff....
And if you even get the urge to tell me to stop using CMUD do this...delete all your settings etc, then restart...do not use cut/paste
and then tell me how easy it is...
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:01 pm   

no problem. I back up my settings as you should do so i just put them back and try again.

Dont get mad at him because you were too shortsighted to simply backup your stuff. Thats not his fault. Thats called inexperience.

Its not meant to be used to play the mud. He even posted almost that EXACT phrase before beta ever started and has been posting it ever since. Its meant for testing at this point. Be happy you have access to it at all. Zuggs betas used to be closed simply for the reasons you are upset. Things happen blowing up on the forums solves nothing.

Learn from the experience backup your settings and move on. When you have to take the time to manually recreate around 1500 different scripts talk to me about it.

Yes its improved greatly. There no less than 100 different bugs that are solved. Which then means he needs to re-release to ascertain new bugs not old ones. It will create problems. ALWAYS. You ran into one. It happens its beta. Exploding and regurgitating cuss words and demeaning/rude commentary does NOTHING AT ALL except make him feel even more hesitant to put releases out for us to test until hes completely comfortable with them. Some of us LOVE beta testing and have been doing it for 9-10 years in the zugg world. If you cant hack it leave it to the rest of us.

If beta testing makes you this pissed off that you need to explode in the forums then yes use ZMUD until CMUD is stabile. Period end of story.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:31 pm   

Heh, let me just say I don't really care about who posts what first. I'm just amused.

EDB points out that the alias thing was already posted about, linking to my post. He then posts about the variable problem which I addressed in the post he linked to.

hehe
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:35 pm   

Hey, at least it is getting reported, AND a different post for each problem. Twisted Evil

hehe
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:56 pm   

I'm not sure I should even bother responding to this. Everyone else has pretty much covered the issues. So, I'll stick to the specific points:

1) Obviously this is getting fixed. And fixing it in within 24 hours isn't something you'd see from most companies. But if you keep up that kind of language in the forums, you'll get banned. Next time, think twice before hitting the Submit button. You agreed to the Beta Agreement when you downloaded CMUD and if you can't deal with bugs, then wait for the public release or go use zMUD.

2) You obviously haven't read any of the other posts in this forum about Modules vs Windows. If you want a group of settings that do not have a window, then you need to put them within a Module. Modules do not have visual windows. Then click the Published option for the Module to allow other windows and modules to see the settings. I'll add a button in 1.05 to the Module and Windows editor windows to let you easily convert between them.

3) We already dealt with the bug about aliases...no need to keep repeating yourself. I don't support importing files from previous beta versions at this time because the previous beta versions were too buggy and I'm not going to start kludging CMUD just to make it work with early buggy beta files.

4) The XML format *is* a "text" format and is the only text format that CMUD will support. The old zMUD text format was buggy and had lots of problems and has no way to support new features being added to CMUD. If the XML import isn't working, then that's a bug and you should calmly submit a bug report for that or make another post about it.

But in general, from your language and anger, I suggest that you stop using CMUD until the public release later this fall.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:21 pm   

Code:

EDB points out that the alias thing was already posted about, linking to my post. He then posts about the variable problem which I addressed in the post he linked to.

rofl yeah zugg caught me on that one too. The original post was about the NAME of the one not being shown. I added onto it for "Causes" reasoning what else was happening at the same time :P and negated to realize it was the same issue as the other one. *blush*

Personally i found that a bit amusing myself :p
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:54 pm   

I can always tell when there is a serious issue that needs a quick fix when several people post about it at the same time ;)

Remember back in zMUD with all of the 'a' and 'b' releases? For some reason, needing a quick fix is always pretty common. In this case, the bug was related to something else I "fixed" within the hour before the release. It wasn't *supposed* to have this kind of side effect ;)
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 am   

K, i haven't read nearly enuf posts, but am i to understand that in CMUD if i export my scripts so that I can print them and go thru them and fix them up on my train ride to/from home they are in a XML format not a normal .txt format?
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:50 am   

Yes, only XML format. But they are still readable and easily editable
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:35 pm   

bleh, maybe for you.
I've seen xml code and can't make heads nor tails of it.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:51 pm   

*rofl*

Sounds a little like you might be mind blocking yourself. Have a go at exporting one and looking at it, I'm fairly certain within a very short time you will have figured it out and also appreciate it as a much better way of doing things.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:01 pm   

he didn't say much about understanding it Very Happy
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:27 pm   

i'm not a beta tester and dont have cmud installed.
Tho i WOULD appreciate a nice long export from someone so that I can see it.
The more complicated the better.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:03 am   

... And now for something totally off topic.

Hey Vitae - What does the "C.L.B." of Aardwolf stand for?
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:54 am   

*snicker*
Creepy Lil Bastard

Now get back on topic before I bite your ankles.
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:19 pm   

Vitae I know this isnt overly complex but XML is so long even for simple scripts due to the number of areas for 1 section that i exported one of my scripts and thats it

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<package name="ToTrain">
  <record id="1048708">
    <id>1048708</id>
    <kind>0</kind>
    <parent>2097151</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>ToTrain</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val/>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>0</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>256</opt>
    <owner>2097151</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>0</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>45037888</memref>
  </record>
  <record id="1048710">
    <id>1048710</id>
    <kind>2</kind>
    <parent>1048708</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>stt</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val>#VARIABLE counter 0&#x0D;&#x0A;#T+ triggers&#x0D;&#x0A;#WAIT 1000&#x0D;&#x0A;skill spells&#x0D;&#x0A;#WAIT 2000&#x0D;&#x0A;#T- triggers</val>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>0</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>0</opt>
    <owner>1048708</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>1340</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>45673264</memref>
  </record>
  <record id="1048711">
    <id>1048711</id>
    <kind>2</kind>
    <parent>1048708</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>ptt</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val>#VARIABLE counter 0&#x0D;&#x0A;#T+ Triggers&#x0D;&#x0A;#WAIT 1000&#x0D;&#x0A;skill prof&#x0D;&#x0A;#WAIT 2000&#x0D;&#x0A;#T- Triggers</val>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>0</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>0</opt>
    <owner>1048708</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>1350</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>45673648</memref>
  </record>
  <class name="Triggers">
    <record id="1048712">
      <id>1048712</id>
      <kind>1</kind>
      <parent>1048708</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>0</enabled>
      <idname>Triggers</idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val/>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>2</opt>
      <owner>1048708</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>0</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>69072336</memref>
    </record>
    <record id="1048701">
      <id>1048701</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname>~[ ~# ~] ~[(%s)(%w) Name(%s)~](*)</idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val>#var skilltype %2;#if (@skilltype == "Spell") {#var skilltype "spells"};#if (@skilltype == "Proficiency") {#var skilltype "proficiencies"}</val>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>137</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1250</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76383824</memref>
    </record>
    <record id="1048702">
      <id>1048702</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname><![CDATA[(%d)(*){@schools}%s%d~%%s&percent~%]]></idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val><![CDATA[#IF (@percent < 74) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(yellow,bold)%trigger} {#IF (@percent > 74) {#IF (@percent < 85) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(green,bold)%trigger;#ADD counter 1} {#IF (@percent > 99) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(red,bold)%trigger;#ADD counter 1} {#IF (@percent > 85 and @percent < 100) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(blue,bold)%trigger;#ADD counter 1}}}}}]]></val>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>137</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1260</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76383984</memref>
    </record>
    <record id="1048703">
      <id>1048703</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname><![CDATA[(%d)(*){@schools}%s%d%s(%d)~%%s&percent~%]]></idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val><![CDATA[#IF (@percent < 74) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(yellow,bold)%trigger} {#IF (@percent > 74) {#IF (@percent < 85) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(green,bold)%trigger;#ADD counter 1} {#IF (@percent > 99) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(red,bold)%trigger;#ADD counter 1} {#IF (@percent > 85 and @percent < 100) {#SUBSTITUTE %ansi(blue,bold)%trigger;#ADD counter 1}}}}}]]></val>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>137</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1270</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76384144</memref>
    </record>
    <record id="1048704">
      <id>1048704</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname>~[C~]ontinue ~[R~]edraw ~[B~]ack ~[E~]xit:</idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val>#GAG;#CR</val>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>138</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1280</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76384304</memref>
    </record>
    <record id="1048705">
      <id>1048705</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname><![CDATA[^You have the ability to learn ~[&total]]]></idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val>#math totaltrain (@total-@counter)</val>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>137</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1290</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76384464</memref>
    </record>
    <record id="1048706">
      <id>1048706</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname>^You have ~[%d~] practice sessions.</idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val>#echo %ansi( grey)You have %ansi( blue, high)~[%ansi( grey)@totaltrain%ansi( blue, high)~]%ansi( grey) @skilltype left to train.</val>
      <comment/>
      <name>{*}</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>137</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1300</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76384624</memref>
    </record>
    <record id="1048707">
      <id>1048707</id>
      <kind>5</kind>
      <parent>1048712</parent>
      <pkgid>1048576</pkgid>
      <enabled>-1</enabled>
      <idname>^Color Key: ~[Active~] ~[Inactive~] ~[Altered +~] ~[Altered -~] </idname>
      <options/>
      <userval/>
      <val>#GAG</val>
      <comment/>
      <name>^Color Key: ~[Active~] ~[Inactive~] ~[Altered +~] ~[Altered -~] ~[Unavailable~]</name>
      <subkind>0</subkind>
      <valkind>0</valkind>
      <opt>137</opt>
      <owner>1048712</owner>
      <userint>0</userint>
      <priority>1310</priority>
      <flag>128</flag>
      <state>0</state>
      <memref>76384784</memref>
    </record>
  </class>
  <record id="1048713">
    <id>1048713</id>
    <kind>3</kind>
    <parent>1048708</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>counter</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val>45</val>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>0</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>0</opt>
    <owner>1048708</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>1370</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>84115528</memref>
  </record>
  <record id="1048728">
    <id>1048728</id>
    <kind>3</kind>
    <parent>1048708</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>skilltype</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val>spells</val>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>3</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>0</opt>
    <owner>1048708</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>1520</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>84115632</memref>
  </record>
  <record id="1048729">
    <id>1048729</id>
    <kind>3</kind>
    <parent>1048708</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>percent</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val>Mys: 100</val>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>0</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>0</opt>
    <owner>1048708</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>1530</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>84115736</memref>
  </record>
  <record id="1048730">
    <id>1048730</id>
    <kind>3</kind>
    <parent>1048708</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>total</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val>128</val>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>0</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>0</opt>
    <owner>1048708</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>1540</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>84115840</memref>
  </record>
  <record id="1048731">
    <id>1048731</id>
    <kind>3</kind>
    <parent>1048708</parent>
    <pkgid>1048708</pkgid>
    <enabled>-1</enabled>
    <idname>totaltrain</idname>
    <options/>
    <userval/>
    <val>60</val>
    <comment/>
    <name>{*}</name>
    <subkind>0</subkind>
    <valkind>0</valkind>
    <opt>0</opt>
    <owner>1048708</owner>
    <userint>0</userint>
    <priority>1550</priority>
    <flag>128</flag>
    <state>0</state>
    <memref>84115944</memref>
  </record>
</package>
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:15 pm   

....wtf?!...and this is supposed to be easy to read?!
Dear lord, PLEASE tell me that the way that it looks IN CMUD will still look like it does in ZMUD with the layout looking normal and stuff...
There's no way in hell I'll be able to print that and actually understand that.
I need to be able to actually READ my code....i'm sorry but this is total garbage for me.. :(
Not looking to start a flame, I'm just saying that *I* can't read it, and I just passed this along to a few of my friends that use zmud and they all said the same thing.

And if it's going to look in cmud like it does in zmud I REALLY hope that the issue with not being able to see the scripts if there's any inherited setting is resolved.
There no way that I can check my code this way.
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:31 pm   

Hmmm, I bet somebody can write a little UI for parsing these types of files. I'll see what I can come up with tonight, unless somebody beats me to it. :p
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:38 pm   

*grovel bortaS*
Check out Varmel's site:
http://www.silverbridge.org/~varmel/zmud/syntax/
*grovel bortaS*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: