Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jtviper456
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:36 pm   

ZMud settings file

I spent about 3 months getting my ZMud client just the way I wanted it, while ripping music from a CD using Windows Media Player, the computer hung and all access to drive C:/ was denied(stupid Norton Antivirus), so I had to turn the cpu off and do a cold boot. When I restarted ZMud after doing so, my color scheme was all black/white, and I have no aliases/triggers. I've loaded/reloaded my .mud file, the bak file, and everything...nothing avails, all my stuff is gone-anyone know how I can get my settings back?

Windows XP Pro SP2
Version 2002
384MB RAM
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:22 pm   

1)try the Migration Guide. If anything is recoverable via "the easy way" it will show up when you export. Details on what the Migration Guide is I believe can be found amongst the ZMud support pages here at zuggsoft.com.

2)If the Migration Guide fails, try opening the .mud file in a plain text editor and carefully copy/pasting any plain text stuff you see. This would be "the hard way" since Zmud saves .MUD files in a proprietary (binary?) format. There's no easy way to extract the information, there's likely to be some things missing, and you have to reconstruct everything you can keep into a proper text file you can export from (otherwise you must hand type it all back in).
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:22 am   

Just to be clear, the Migration Guide is found by selecting "zMUD Support" from the "Support" menu at the top of the web page.
jtviper456
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 am   Settings File

I was able to use the settings editor to open the .mud file, but only 2 folders were there, which will end up saving me a few hours at least :)...anyway, just a tip of advice to other ZMudders, keep a backup on floppy, never know when Microsoft's buggy programs will screw ya over :)...
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:31 pm   

When it comes to file corruption, just because you don't see them in the settings editor doesn't mean they're not there. Before you get serious about redoing it all over again, you might want to export or even use the hard way to see what you can find.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:16 pm   

Yeah, even though it's a binary file, you can still open the *.MUD file using Notepad. The scripts assigned to aliases, triggers, etc are still in text form within the binary file so sometimes you can recover data that way. It's a pain, but I know it has saved me a couple of times.

And yes, backup is important these days. After losing the entire contents of my computer disks over a year ago and the pain I went through to recover stuff, I am a big pusher of regular backups now.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:01 am   

A pusher? You should be ashamed of yourself Wink Laughing

To clarify the joke, just in case pusher doesn't mean the same thing in America over here it means someone who entices people to use drugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: