Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
zema
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:54 am   

silly question

I believe this is a default setting i am playing a mud and i would like to use the number pad buttons for aliases which are 4,8,2 and 6 BUT they make me move n s e and w. Can this be adjusted?
GURU

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 am   

you can record new macro keys for them if you like
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:10 am   

I did, but it still uses them as n w s e..hmm i think i may be messing somthing up. Been awhile since i mudded
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:38 am   

zema's sig wrote:
There are 3 things i hate kids, animals, and women with attitudes..

Your life must be hell.

zema wrote:
I did, but it still uses them as n w s e..hmm i think i may be messing somthing up. Been awhile since i mudded

Did you try toggling numlock?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:12 am   

The problem is the position of the macros. When it comes to non-trigger settings, only the first active setting found is ever used (trigger position doesn't matter as all triggers that match are fired). Non-trigger settings are looked for in a top-down, parent-to-child fashion, like so:

1)NONE
2)System class folder
3)System|Automapper folder (follow mode folder)
4)System|Keypad folder
5)System|AutomapperAll folder (explore mode folder)
6)System|Directions folder
7)System|DirectionsDiag folder
8)System|KeypadDiag folder
9)System|Pueblo folder
10)Autolog folder (this folder SHOULD be disabling itself automatically after login, though)
11)SlowWalk folder
12)various user-created folders
13)various auto-created folders generated by the mapper

As you can see, anything the user creates will always appear farther down than the original macros in the Keypad and KeypadDiag folders unless the user creates the macros in the NONE, System, or System|Automapper folders.

Additionally, inherited settings are ALWAYS loaded first so you can't just dump your user-created macros into the appropriate System folders. Instead, if you don't put the things in the above three locations you must #T- Keypad and KeypadDiag in order to have ZMud recognize your macros.
Magician

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:50 am   

or remove the inherited/switch them to be what you want.

However so you dont destroy functionality in case you want a different mud. I would agree make an alias or on connect trigger that disables keypad and keypaddiag on connect.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:22 pm   

Actually, this should be really easy. Press Ctrl-K to define a macro key, then press the keypad key that you want to change. The macro editor will be loaded and you will be able to enter the new value for that key. Then click save and close the editor window.

That's all you need to do! You don't have to worry about all of this inheritence stuff. Your local macros always override the system-defined default macros.

Here is what I did to test this in zMUD 7.21:

1) Press Ctrl-K
2) Press the 8 key on the keypad
3) Enter "test" into the Value field (without the quotes)
4) Click the Save button and close the editor window

Now when I press the 8 key on the keypad it sends "test" instead of "n".
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:08 pm   

Hmm...recent change? I KNOW I had problems with connection aliases before and ended up having to either turn off those system folders or keep the local stuff in the root folder. The only time I was using multiple macro sets, though, I was careful to disable the ones I wasn't using at the time. And triggers are a pain! Since they are all evaluated together rather than just the first found, it didn't seem local would override inherited.

Just goes to show that anyone can learn anything at anytime.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:29 pm   

Triggers are different. Not sure about aliases, but I was just addressing the Macro issue. There are not any triggers defined in the default.mud file, so that's a different issue and concerns using "Inherited" settings file, which is a bit different that the system-defined macros that the poster was talking about.

I just didn't want this thread to get too complicated. Inherited settings *are* complex and a bit wierd in zMUD, but the macros work easily as expected since overriding a default macro is a very common operation.

Triggers evaluate in the order that they are shown when the Sort option is turned off in the Settings editor. When you turn off the View/Sort option then you see settings in their actual defined order, and yes, for triggers this is the order that is used. But you can easily drag/drop triggers to execute in the order that you want.
zema
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:04 am   

thanks very much zugg your the man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: