Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Trajet
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:50 am   

Screen resolution problem

Okay, my computer is being wonky for some reason and it set itself to display at 640x480 instead of my normal 1024x768. Is there anyway I can make ZMud's display look normal under these conditions because it's really bothering me.
Trajet
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:44 pm   

Anyone have an answer? I could really use a solution.
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:39 pm   

Knowing in advance that this answer is going to sound harsher than intended: You've submitted a variant of the infamous 'your software doesn't work' bug (which rarely gets an answer).

By that I mean: From what you've written above, it's not clear (a) what the problem is that you're having, or (b) what you're trying to achieve. Keep in mind that those of us reading can't read your mind, or see your screen, and we don't know how you've set up your zMUD windows, unless you tell us. And since you haven't told us...we can't give you an answer.

Let me ask a few questions, and you'll get an idea of how much information is missing from your question:

1) Are you saying that your computer display resets to 640x480 when you run zMUD?
2) Or instead, that your Windows desktop has spontaneously resized itself and you can't switch it back? (If so, yeah, your zMUD display is going to look different - you have fewer pixels to work with - but it's not a zMUD problem.)
3) What does 'look normal' mean? Since you can change fonts, font sizes, window dimensions, window placement, etc. there is no 'standard' zMUD display. In other words, what is different about the way that zMUD is displaying than the way that you want it to display?
4) What settings have you changed from their defaults? What have you already tried to fix the problem?
5) When did the problem start happening? What were you doing right before the problem first appeared?

I think you get the idea. Zugg has pointed out this article about good bug reporting, and it's just as applicable to asking for help on the forums as it is to bug reporting.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:40 am   

Oh, I'm sorry if I didn't explain my problem enough.

1). No, the computer for some reason spontaneously set itself to this resolution and I can't change it back to 1024x768.

2). See #1

3). What I meant by 'look normal' was not a font or layout problem, but more on the size of everything. I understand that the smaller the resolution, the bigger things are, like the closer a microscope gets to something the bigger it gets. I was wondering if I could get the text to display smaller like when the monitor is set to 1024x768 instead of 640x480. It's causing problems because strings of text have to breakup and go to the nextline, whereas with 1024x768 everything would have fit on one line.

Is my problem better explained?

EXAMPLE:

1024x768 would have the text look like this:
Code:

Gateway (Gate)   M   OOC   Golem       13M/  0S                                 

It looks like this in 640x480:
Code:

Gateway (Gate)        M   OOC   Golem                           13M/  0S

See how in the 640x480 version, the line breaks messes up how my text looks?
Theragil
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:29 pm   

You can change font sizes in View | Preferences. I don't think you can change the size of any other parts of the UI.
Trajet
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:25 pm   

Well, it's not the greatest fix in the world, but at least the text isn't so big. Default was "Courier" at size 10. I changed it to "Courier New" at size 8.
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:30 pm   

If you're using the mapper, you can also fiddle with the zoom to get the 'right' amount of the map on-screen at the same time.

As for your display problem, you might want to see if you can update the driver for your graphics card. 640x480 is the default size for a generic VGA display, which is how Windows will treat your card if it can't identify it or doesn't have a good driver.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:17 pm   

I'm pretty sure the resolution is fixed, your best bet is to just to maximize to full screen using the normal window buttons. Or better yet... fix your resolution issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: