Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
umdbandit
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:01 am   

Problem Solving with the Automapper!

Alright guys,

Basically here's what I have. Any help, input, discussion, criticism, etc. of course is appreciated :P

I want to make a group of client settings that i can distribute throughout my clan on my mud. My first instinct was to create an automap, a set of travel commands and scripts, and then send it out to everyone. So 50,000 rooms later plus some scripting, and I have two major problems. The first problem is that sending 150 megs of stuff to everyone is a royal pain in the ass. The second, and imho bigger one, is that huge huge huge huge maps dont run particularly well on dated systems. I want my settings to be much more streamlined.

So here's what i've decided would be a good replacement to having to send a huge map file to everyone, who then even if they got it, might have trouble using it.

Obviously out of those 50,000 rooms, there's only a handfull (maybe 50) that you really need to be able to travel to. So rather than use the mapper, I want to alias between all these rooms. Lets say i have city1, city2, city3, and city4. I'd want to be able to type an alias city1tocity3, and then have it do the alias. So clearly having all the locations linked to eachother would be a crapload of aliases. And herein lies my idea/dilemma.

I want to use the automap to create these aliases. I dont really have any idea how to use this, other than i'm assuming you'd use the #walk command to some extent to find the paths, and then have a script to autocreate and name the alias.

Anyways, thats basically all..

Like i said at the beginning, all feedback is appreciated.

-bobby
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:40 am   

Look at the script I posted over in the Finished Scripts forum just recently (Walk Location System). You should be able to adapt it quite nicely by changing the final #WALK command to:
#EXEC {%concat("#ALIAS ",%prompt(,"Alias name")," {.",%walk(@DestTemp3.location),"}")}
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: