Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:24 pm   

Changing the default level/links for the automapper

I like to be able see the entire map on the same level (level 0). Consequently I manually move all the "up" and "down" rooms that are automatically created to level 0 (so everything is on level 0).

I'm curious as to whether I can by default have it place the "up" room on the same level.

On a similar note, I'd really love to be able to change the default link graphic for the different directions.

Therefore, ideally I'd be able to change the defaults so that if I went "up", it would create a room on the same level as me and allow me to choose the link graphic that was placed between these two room.

ReedN
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:14 pm   

Probably long term easier to manually shift the rooms with highlight/move.

I know zMapper could perform this task but I know of no easy way to set things up to do that.

You might be able to loop through the database view of it and with COM set things that are +/- z to z=0 and y=y+300*z or something to bring it back down.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:42 am   

You could do this with an SQL Update type query. "UPDATE ObjectTbl SET ObjectTbl.Z = 0;". You will have to either search the forums for the proper method to do queries with in zMud or use a 3rd party program capable of doing the needed interface.
Dodgester
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:15 am   

Since I have MS Office Pro, I use Access, especially since the map file is a MDB file, thus is MS Access based file. The table/field you looking to change is the ObjectTbl.Z (Table name before the dot and field name after the dot), and you will want to change those values to 0. However, from a looks point of view, it may not be that easy to read, if you do that. In Access, the related query would be:

Update ObjectTbl
Set Z = 0
Where Z <> 0

Use this with caution though as it doesn't allow for undoing the changes. Therefore, you would be wise to make a backup copy of the MDB file before performing such action.

Sincerely,

Dodgester
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:34 pm   

The problem with changing everything to 0 is that you also have to space them out on the map.
If a -1 is suddenly 0 with a square already in that same spot, they over write eachother or something.
At least that's what happened to me.
Have to go to each lvl and move them out from where they are in refrence to the map on the above lvl.
Personally, I to would rather have a way to tell zmud to make an up/down exit some where else on the map.
But the problem with that is WHERE would it put it? to the north? to the east? what if the room your in has an exit that way already?
It would be a nice to have feature, but create more headaches in the long run that doing it manually.
(one of the reasons that I make the maps by adding the boxes and naming them myself. it's longer and more of a pain, but I like it better.)
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:23 pm   

Well what I ended up doing is making an alias "fix" that calls the menu move function of the mapper and I set it to 0 manually. Is is true that I have to edit each one, but I feel the benefit of having them all on the same level outweights the work in finding a place to put it.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:37 am   

You can also use a query to generate a list of rooms that overlap. You would have to work with the ZoneTable to get bounds values, then if you went in increments of 100 and used an expression that checked 'zone=zonenum and >=x-20 and <=x+20 and y', or such, the list should be relatively accurate. This would allow the fast update query, with a slow list building script, and then you would just use '#TELEPORT %pop(List)' to locate each problem spot. Likely it would only take 2 passes on the list builder to fix out everything.
namorham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:08 am   

ReedN,..

I do not suppose you could post the alias you used to 'fix' your map?
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:15 am   

#menu {Mapper|Edit|Move}

It only saves a few clicks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: