Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:31 am   

PLEASE READ (Official thread for 7.12 errors)

This is the official thread for errors that people are having either when starting zMUD 7.12 (error after the splash screen), or when getting the same error when opening a character window or blank window.

PLEASE PLEASE keep this topic in one thread. I'm going crazy trying to follow all of the one-line individual threads that everyone is posting.

When you post about your problem, you MUST include the version of Windows you are using, and what version of zMUD you were using before you upgraded to v7.12.

Also, you should download 7.12A and try that to see if it fixes the problem. If not, then report that 7.12A didn't fix it.

I will DELETE any posts to this thread that do not contain the required information. If you can't be bothered to make a useful post with specific information about your problem, then I can't be bothered to fix it. I'm getting REALLY frustrated with this.

This is a HARD error to track down. It moves everytime I recompile zMUD. And it only seems to effect a very small number of people. So this is going to take time, effort, and patience. If you don't have the patience to make a useful bug report and to work with me on this difficult issue, then don't bother posting and just don't use the new version until this problem is resolved.

OK, got it? Now, what I need most of all is someone willing to work directly with me on tracking down this bug. You need to have AIM or ICQ and be willing to email your AIM or ICQ number to zugg@zuggsoft.com. And then you need to have AIM or ICQ running so that I can actually contact you. It will take an hour or so of your time to download a test version and report on it via chat.

Until I get someone willing to help with this, this problem isn't going to get fixed.

Last edited by Zugg on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jesuswasajunkie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:42 am   

The splash screen reads this just before I get the error

Loading zMud modules... 0
name: main module

then I get the access violation error immediately after
xenapan
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:42 am   

im willing to help. windows xp service pack2. was using 7.11 (and prior to that 7.10)

EDIT: forgot i emailed you from xenapan@gmail.com
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:17 am   

I got your AIM id and tried contacting you but didn't get any response. I'm going to bed now and will try again in the morning.

I only have ONE MORE DAY to spend working on this version of zMUD before I get back to important zApp stuff. If I don't get a hold of someone to help with these errors tomorrow, then you'll all just have to deal with the errors or go back to using the old version. This isn't effecting enough people for me to screw up my zApp schedule.
xenapan
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:50 am   

ugh. sorry. trillian is a bit buggy when i dont have people on my contact list as the window never shows
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:01 am   

I never had a problem until I upgraded from version 7.11 to 7.12. I'm using Windows XP Pro, version 2002, service pack 2. I'm also running MS Outlook express 6.0, Norton Internet Security 2005, and Spy Sweeper 4.0.3.

When I start Zmud, it doesn't have a problem until after I click on a character profile, which opens my game window with my script. The first thing that shows is a window that tells me "Invalid point operation", then access violation windows start popping up and continue to do so until Zmud freezes at which time I have to go into task manager to cancel Zmud.

Now, what I found interesting is kept opening Zmud getting the errors, even did a reboot and still got the errors. So, I opened another of my character profiles and had no problem with it at all with no error windows and such. So, I closed and opened the first character profile that was getting the error and it errored out, then tried it again and it worked fine.

No idea why, but I will email you my AIM, and my two scripts, which I hope helps you out.

Edited to add:

After downloading Zmud 7.12a, my first script still errors out and my second script loads fine. Also, when the splash screen is up, I see Zmud modules: 0 doesn't change or does not increment.
Spansh2
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:25 am   

When I first installed, ZMud 7.12 was fine, however after last night (I've loaded zmud up only once before then). Now Zmud crashes after the character select screen I select my character and then I get the access problem.

I use windows 2000 (fully patched from windows update) the version I'm running zmud 7.12a.

-- Addition, I was trying to connect to the same character every time and it was crashing at the same point (before the mud window opens). however I tried to connect to another character and it worked fine, and now the first works fine as well, so the problem seems to have gone away. SO I probably shouldn't post this, but just in case you need more info.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:41 am   

Here are some more questions for people to answer:

1) Are you using *any* plugins?

2) Do you have the AutoSave option enabled for your characters?

Plugins are initialized in the splash screen, and are loaded when you create a new window, so that's about the only thing I can think of that could cause both kinds of errors. Also, some changes made in 7.12 could potentially effect plugins.

The AutoSave option causes your character settings to save when you exit zMUD. Since v7.12 uses a new settings format (that has the spellcheck options added to it), it's possible that there is some sort of problem loading an older settings file that gets fixed once 7.12 autosaves the settings to the new format.

Please keep posting more info on this problem.
Spansh2
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:54 am   

1. I have 2 plugins installed zchat and CPPI Graphic, however I don't use either anymore and they're not enabled.
2. I'm not sure how to check the autosave option, but I'm fairly sure it's on since my map loads from the last position and variables are reloaded from their last.

One issue I just noticed, I exited zmud and it generated an application error (having been on the mud for about 20 minutes) however no crash when I restarted zmud on the same char.
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:52 pm   Found another bad bug in Zmud 7.12

I dont know if it was in 7.10 or .11, as I didnt bother reconfiguring my settings until just now and I have tested it on a clean install, but inherited settings are completely screwed. Here is my config:

Windows XP Professional With SP1
Zmud 7.12

No plugins, and not sure about autosave, if its a feature that is automatically enabled yes. I completely uninstalled zmud and reinstalled it just to clean things up.

Would really like to be able to use inherited settings again, but every time i create a new inherited file, it says the settings file is corrupted, doesnt matter what I do.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:25 pm   

I'm not using any plugins and I have autosave on.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 pm   

The bug should be fixed in v7.13. Download it and give it a try. You can just install it on top of v7.12.
Spansh2
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:23 pm   

Thanks, it's appreicated. *mutters something about still being stuck at work after 12 hours here, god I hate being a programmer with a deadline**
KillerKitty
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:30 pm   

It was causing me errors too, but I only just saw this thread.

It's cool that you managed to fix it, thank you from everyone I'm sure, Zugg. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: