Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
namorham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:40 am   

zMud 7.10 Mapper wont start

When I first installed v7.10 it gave the "in table-level validation expression" error, so I followed the instuctions to update it, and I finally got it to start, and it again let me connect, although I had no success brining in my old settings (I have a backup as a txt file, so they are not a problem).

Given that a commonly appearing solution for DB errors has been to rename the failing one, and allow zMUD to create a new one, I figured I would do that with my maps (I also have backups of the maps directory(s) from when I had v5.55(or 5. something)), but as soon as I click on the maps button (or use the shortcut) I get the "in table-level validation expression" error, if I get rid of the loading/creating maps progress dialog, I can continue in the main app, but, being the sort of player who loves to map out every small corner I can find, I really want my maps.
namorham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:52 am   

I should add, that I have updated the Jet and MDAC components, and was still having major problems getting v7.05 to even start (work rolled back windows XP sp2, after it nuked a bunch of our test programs, and ever since it was installed zMUD just didn't happen for me, until I grabbed 7.10). So I need to point out that I have updated the required components, and am aware that 7.10 is in effect a beta, so possibly this should be moved to a different thread relating to it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:37 pm   

As mentioned in the announcement for 7.10, the MDAC/Jet database drivers are still required for using the mapper in v7.10. So that hasn't changed from 7.05.

I'm afraid the "in table-level validation expression" error comes from the MDAC software, and not from zMUD. The Microsoft installers for MDAC are notoriously bad. If they *thing* you have the correct drivers (by just looking at registry entries), then they refuse to install or update anything.

If you are having trouble reading your settings files, then they are probably corrupted. If you couldn't get v7.05 to work, then v7.10 isn't going to be any better.

For the corrupted settings, read the Migration Guide in the Support/zMUD Support section of this web site. It has instructions on how to try and clean them up.

For the MDAC database problems, I don't have much to suggest. About the only sure-fire way to fix this is to do a Repair install of Windows XP from the original Windows disk and then reapply all of the patches from the Microsoft Windows Update site.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:28 pm   

I think you need XP SP1 at minimum to even install the mdac drivers... and if you rolled something back then it sounds like the DLL's could be messed up. Did you download the mdac version checker and see if you had all the right DLL versions?
namorham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:29 am   

Yeah, it was only the SP2 changes that were rolled back, SP1 is still there, and I updated MDAC and Jet drivers anyway, it may be like zugg said, and it just thinks it is up to date.

Unlike 7.05, 7.10 is running, it is just the mapper that doesn't, even when there is no existing map (I made a new profile in zMUD with a made up name and 127.0.0.1 as its IP - I have a copy of CircleMUD source here that I compiled and ran), but no joy with the mapper, I might have a play and see if I can force it to update if it didn't really
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:05 am   

Yeah when I was boycotting XP SP1 I manually installed (by copying DLL's/etc) the latest MDAC... you can do it but it's an evening's work hehe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: