Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Turtlemell
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:58 am   

Lag

I have been getting serious lag all of a sudden, I'm talking anywhere from 10-60 seconds.. even more or cases when i am just stuck and have to reconnect to my game. I asked other players, and they all say they are fine, so I dont think its the game. Everythin else internet related is running as usual on my pc. I've tried turning auto protect off of my virus scanner.. all that good stuf.. so my last thought is that maybe it has to do with my zmud. I have the current version.. no recent changes at all to my pc, which is windows xp.

Is it possible its something with my zmud?

I'm really frazzled, and at the point I cant even carry a conversation, or kill a rat

If it isnt, and someone has advice of a different topic (if its not allowed here) then please e-amil me at turtlemell@hotmail.com
porcelina
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:11 am   

Im no expert but, try typing #ig in your commnad line to shut off your triggers. or manually click on the gun icon to shut them off and see if that returns your speed. If it does then its some trigger or trigggers that are slowing you down. If it doesnt speed you up any then its probley your connection. Some muds have different port #'s or servers to log into or rerout you as you may have some delay there. It would be in a help file of that mud or maybe an admin could point you in the right direction.

At any rate shut the triggers off first to see what happens then try the other methods.

Hopefully some nice zmud Guru will log in and help you out more if this doesn't.

Porcelina
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:49 am   

well, I did try turning triggers off. It didnbt seem to fix the problem. See it'll speed up, feel fine for a minute and then stick for a loooooong time and then spam me with what I missed. I have also sent along the issue to the administrators of my game, as well as e-mailed their support department. Next I think I'm going to try through their java client, to be more sure it is zmud and not them.

Thanks for the help so far.

Still hoping to get luck and find its something simple I can do within Zmud

Turtlemell
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:02 pm   

You might want to check your refresh preferences. If it's set high then ZMud will wait until then to refresh your screen.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:36 am   

it is at 5
it that high?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:43 am   

Lag of 10-60 seconds is almost always caused by lost Internet packets. Other applications are not as susceptible to this compared to telnet programs like zMUD. For example, a web browser or FTP client can often handle lost packets with only a slight slowdown. But a telnet program maintains a single persistent socket connection with the MUD, and when there is a lost packet, Windows delays something like 5 seconds doing a retransmit.

Especially since you said that turning off triggers didn't have any effect and that it just suddenly started happening, that would be my best bet. You can use a program like TRACERT from the Windows command line to look for lost packets and timeouts to determine where on the network connection the problem is being caused. It's often not a problem with your ISP or remote MUD but is somewhere in the middle with some Internet router that is having trouble.
Turtlemell
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:48 am   

thank you Zugg, I was about to call the ISP. I do have a router here. I will look for that program.. is it something that can be repaired?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:47 am   

No, unless it ends up being your local ISP, there's usually not much you can do about it unfortunately. But if it's a main Internet router, it usually gets fixed. If the packet loss is at the MUD end, then you can contact the MUD about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: