Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Drystin
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:51 pm   

Zmud on Pocket Pc's

Hey is it possible to have your zmud moved to your pocket pc.
Or is there a client out there that can make it possible ?
Or will the Zugg Software team consider make such software?
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:44 pm   

Umm, no. There is no way zMUD would work on a pocketPC, sorry. I have no idea if there is any MUD client for a pocketPC, but the very idea of typing that much text command to really play a MUD scares me.

Anyway, I certainly don't have any plans for this. zMUD is all about high-end MUDding and you can't really do that on a pocketpc at all.
Drystin
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:39 pm   

Zugg wrote:

Anyway, I certainly don't have any plans for this. zMUD is all about high-end MUDding and you can't really do that on a pocketpc at all.

i would disagree, i have a fold out keyboard on my pocket pc, and it makes it fairly easy to type, and you don't type anymore then you do on a chat or on forums, atleast i don't alot of triggers and settings does most typing for me when i play.
i just though it would be a great idea, i travel a bit and more and more places i see free internet through wireless networking, so id be happy to see such software.
maybe consider it ?
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:38 am   

Maybe I should write a voice-enabled MUD client for the pocket pc, I'm voice-enabling AS/400 and Unix sessions for warehouses, so it can't be that much more difficult to turn that into a MUD client ;)

I would find the screen real estate a bit lacking for MUDding though.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:56 am   

Ahh, I hadn't thought about the fold-out keyboard. It's just not something I've used with a PDA before, but you are right about it.

But again, basically zMUD is a very full-featured client with an advanced GUI interface. Screens like the Automapper, Settings Editor, and stuff like that wouldn't be appropriate on the small PDA screen. So what you are basically asking for is a "lite" client that has the zMUD scripting langauge and not much else. And I decided a long time ago not to go that direction because with all of the free MUD clients, there isn't much need for a "zmud lite" (most people who need it just use the free version of zMUD for that).

The actual huge problem, of course, is that the Delphi development tool that zMUD is written with doesn't generate code for pocketpc, so there is essentially no way to port it.
Drystin
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:25 am   

Zugg wrote:

The actual huge problem, of course, is that the Delphi development tool that zMUD is written with doesn't generate code for pocketpc, so there is essentially no way to port it.

Ah i see, thats a huge problem, but thanks for your time, and responds.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:52 am   

Rainchild wrote:
Maybe I should write a voice-enabled MUD client for the pocket pc, I'm voice-enabling AS/400 and Unix sessions for warehouses, so it can't be that much more difficult to turn that into a MUD client ;)

I would find the screen real estate a bit lacking for MUDding though.

I can see it now.<insert dramatic pose and gesticulation> He's sitting in a café in Tokyo with free wireless internet and screams out with passion "KILL OGRE! BASH! SWEEP! ... LOOT CORPSE!".

Laughing

On a side note to all the fun described above is that it actually brings back some of the roleplaying aspect to the game. Even though it may become repetative in the end, but still...
kicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:35 pm   

is it posoble to run zmud at home or whatever and run like pc anywhere or something from the PDA? if you chars acctions are run by a script on the computer at home the lag you get from this should matter little if all you do from the PDA is chat.....
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:35 pm   

*rofl misterbalrog*

I can imagine so many people looking at me in so many weird ways Very Happy

Personally, I'd still rather use my lappy, 1600x1050 widescreen monitor runs Zmud (and Everquest2) very well :)
hykou
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:48 pm   

Yeah since zMUD doesnt need much of a refresh rate, of course you could run it on any screen, *gasps* ??hologram?? maybe even!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: