Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Backu
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:40 pm   

Something for Zugg to wrap his brilliant mind around...

Alright, this is something that I myself would love to see available at some point.. 2 things actually..
1) I work in a call center where I'm not able to use zMUD, but I have a network at home (previous post regarding things there) with a webserver... 1 thing I would love to see is a Java zMUD that would interface with the chardb and settings on the server it's running on. Obviously the server would have to have the eLicense control on it. But it's something I would love to see so that I can use it while I'm at work..

2) Another thing that I think would be really interesting.. would work with the zMUD mapper.. but not so much a function for mapping, more of a way for 2 or more people with the same Map set to connect up to each other and see where they are as per the map.. That might be more difficult, but really neat it it's on accord.
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:41 am   Re: Something for Zugg to wrap his brilliant mind around...

Backu wrote:
Alright, this is something that I myself would love to see available at some point.. 2 things actually..
1) I work in a call center where I'm not able to use zMUD, but I have a network at home (previous post regarding things there) with a webserver... 1 thing I would love to see is a Java zMUD that would interface with the chardb and settings on the server it's running on. Obviously the server would have to have the eLicense control on it. But it's something I would love to see so that I can use it while I'm at work..

Take a look at http://www.tightvnc.com/. They have a java client too :)

Quote:

2) Another thing that I think would be really interesting.. would work with the zMUD mapper.. but not so much a function for mapping, more of a way for 2 or more people with the same Map set to connect up to each other and see where they are as per the map.. That might be more difficult, but really neat it it's on accord.

I remember someone suggested this a while ago as well. Where the mapper would have different map pins to show the players' locations.

There are two obvious ways to implement this. Actually a good idea would be to implement both of them. The first one is to use MXP to let the MUD send information about group members location. The second is to let zMUD be able to act as a server as you suggested.
dkotas
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:19 am   

Quote:

Actually you have all the tools you need already, I'd be happy to mess with it with someone and get it up and running, but you can do this with zchat, already have the concept of how to make it, just need someone to work with to write/test the script.... PM me if you wanna gimme a hand :D. I'd get one of my friends to help but they all use Mushclient (see below).

Quicky version:

Connect with zchat and snoop each others connections
Onroomenter tell other player your roomnumber
use pathfrom to show the other players location, it would give you the best route to the individual as well.
Added bonus you can track stats for them ect... in same manner.

MPX Solution would be interesting to incorporate into a mud server.

The potential is there for zchat with a friend to do some pretty kewl stuff. The mud I play at is pretty zmud hostile Twisted Evil . The admin there also has played a decent part in Mushclient development so go figure.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:11 pm   

The issue is that you can't easily add more map pins like the blue standard one. What you would have to do is to change the colour of the room(s) where other players are located but you might have colourized the rooms for a reason already.

Quote:

The potential is there for zchat with a friend to do some pretty kewl stuff. The mud I play at is pretty zmud hostile Twisted Evil . The admin there also has played a decent part in Mushclient development so go figure.

It seems as if a few people don't like zMUD... Perhaps because it has copy protection Rolling Eyes.
dkotas
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:19 pm   

I didn't post it, but use pathhigh as well, so your map shows where they are... it's an option tho I wonder the effect that would have on speedwalk if any. I think the matter is exactly that when it comes to zmud, ask people to pony up a buck or 2 for good software and they look at you like you are insane. Why pay for what you can steal right? Unfortunately free coders are hard to find, and the fact that they drive up the price for those that pay doesn't bother them.
Backu
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:24 pm   

zMUD server is kinda what I was thinking to be precise cause I tend to do some 'interesting' mapping styles. Not changing room colors or nothing, just the exits.. and a zMAP server would provide a good avenue of having the same maps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: