Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:21 pm   

Directions with other languages?

Hi there,
I just wanted to try the automapper since there are a few very evil paths in the mud I'm currently playing ;)

Problem ist - it's a German mud. Thus, I do not go east with typing "east" or "e" but with "osten" or "o" ... how do I change the default direction settings?
Or how do I teach my zMud to know these directions a use them instead of "ne, e and se" ?

Thank you - Chew
Zener
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:23 pm   

Alias E or EAST to Osten or O
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:19 pm   

Ah - well, now I can navigate with the numpad. But zMapper still does not recognize the commands that lead me into the east since it awaits a "e" but gets an "o".

What to do now?
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:32 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Chew

Ah - well, now I can navigate with the numpad. But zMapper still does not recognize the commands that lead me into the east since it awaits a "e" but gets an "o".

What to do now?

You need to add directions. The standard ones are:
#DIR ns {n|north} n
#DIR sn {s|south} s
#DIR we {w|west} w
#DIR ew {e|east} e
#DIR ud {u|up} u
#DIR du {d|down} d

Try to add some for your language. Example:
#DIR ow {o|osten} e

The syntax is:
#DIR dirchar[revchar] dircommand [mapdir]

The mapdir has to be the english direction code.
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:03 pm   

Is it possible to see some examples within zMud? e.g. the default settings.
This system is new to me - and I dont know how to enter a direction called "nw" or so - it does only accept one letter.

I'm searching for the right place to type this "#DIR ow {o|osten} e" but I dont find it, I'm afraid ;)

But I added the direction "osten" within the automapper class and it does work. But how to add "so" and "no" - that's the current question :)
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:15 am   

I think the easiest way for you to do this would be within the Settings Editor. Open your character offline. Then press CTRL-G to open the Settings Editor. Next click the View menu and make sure "Show Inheritted" is checked. Navigate to the System/Directions class either by double clicking System then Directions or through the Class Panel. There you will find all the default direction settings. Select each one and change the text in the Commands field appropiately, for example "e|east" becomes "o|osten". You be prompted about overriding the default settings each time you change one. Select override. Repeat this procedure with the System/DirectionsDiag class if your mud uses the equivalent of ne|northeast directions.

Next step is to update the macros for the numberpad. These are stored in the System/Keypad and System/KeypadDiag classes. Again override the defaults with commands that match your mud.

At this point you can turn off the "Show Inheritted" so you don't see all the clutter.
Finally remove any errant settings such as those extra aliases.
Calimerion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:07 pm   

Thank you for your tips Vijilante.

Problem I am runnig too is, that when modifying the east direction for example, that when trying to safe the system says "Cannot edit an inherited setting" and after htat it makes a copy of the east direction then.

After that I'm ending up having two entries "e" at the direction class. The "old" one is blue, the new one is black.

Even if deleting the blue one manually, it keeps coming back when reconnecting. Im running into issues then with the mapper.

So it only works for that sessions, until the inherited ones come back.

I am confused :-) Thanks !
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:10 am   

You shouldn't need to delete or modify the inherited directions. Just add the new ones. The settings from your own settings file take precedence over inherited settings.

Most scripts in this forum are written for Command Line entry.
Don't even open the Settings Editor unless its use is specified or obvious.
Calimerion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:13 am   

Problem with leaving he inherited ones intact is, that the automapper get's confused then :-(

Some of the renamed directions have the same trigger as the inherited ones, but are going to different directions.

Anyone knows how to edit the inherited standard directions ? Tried to open the .mud ini file wiht notepad, but that one is not presented in a readable format. That and I do not if at any further ini places changes would need to be done.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:28 am   

It is not reccommended to edit or delete those settings. The method for doing it is open the Settings Editor from your character. Then select File|Open from the Settings Editor menu. Open the default.mud file in your main zMud directory. Locate the settings that are causing you a problem and delete them. Use File|Save from the menu. Finally close your character and reopen it.
Calimerion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:29 pm   

Thank you ! You are my hero. Works sweat.

Only one remaining problem with the mapper I'm facing now.

Sometimes the mapper detects all possible exists from the room and sometimes not.

Like if the room has "n s w", he sometimes draws those locations at the map and sometimes not, although the "possible exists, ..." text looks similiar.

Anyone knows what may cause this ?

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: