Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
HollyC
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:27 pm   

ZMud won't start anymore

I haven't a clue as to how and when this started. I just know that all of a sudden, one day, ZMud 'stopped starting,' if you'll excuse the oxymoron.

Every time I try to start ZMud, the ZMud logo appears on my screen for only a second and then disappears. It remains on my taskbar indefinitely unless I right click on it and then click close. At this point I am told the program is not responding and to click End Now. AFTER that, if I try to use Windows Update to send an error report, every time all I get is, 'No internet connection is available.' I'm on DSL Broadband so there _is_ an internet connection going 24/7.

I hate going into Achaea with Java. Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on, how to STOP it from ever happening again?

Holly
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:46 pm   

Have you done anything else to your system lately? Did this problem just appear on its own?

The splash screen give information about how far zMud has gotten in its initialization process. If you try it a few times you should be able to note what step it got to. This would be very helpful for us in suggesting a solution.

Finally what version of zMud are you using? Many bugs get fixed every version and some are not reported in the version history. The version might matter.

Other detail might also be relavent, such as your Window version, service packs, etc. Basically you can't tell us too much, if something is irrelevant it will simply be ignored.
HollyC
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:50 am   More information re: ZMud won't start anymore

Windows XP Pro with SP 1, which I've had since well before the issue started. Pentium IV running at 1.80 ghz. A couple of months ago I upgraded from an AGP 4x-compatible motherboard (ASUS P4SE) to an AGP 8x-compatible motherboard (ASUS P4S8X) but this problem only started within the past week or so.

If by splash screen you mean the one with the ZMud and Zuggsoft logos, that's as far as I get, and it only stays on the screen for a second. I never get to the screen where you choose a MUD to log into (the second of two pre-login screens). I have the most current version of ZMud: 7.05, released (I think) in April of this year.

Any other information I can provide, let me know. Telling you more about the screen I get to in ZMud will be difficult as the one that disappears is never on my screen more than a split-second. I blink my eyes and I miss it altogether.

Holly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:03 pm   Still doesn't start right

This problem is still occuring. Is any further information needed toward solving it?

EDIT: I used the License Control trick posted on the sticky, and even used the "Restart" ability for it. It does NOT, repeat, NOT fix the unique problem I have.

Holly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:42 am   

I am having the same problem. I will list the things that I have tried to do to correct this.

First of all, it never loads any modules on the splash screen. Secondly, if I do a CTL-ALT-DELETE it shows zmud as not responding.

I did a check on the MDAC from this website. I was running version 2.7 so I updated to 2.8. I did check that the elicense was set to automatic. I have done a system restore to a point where it was working but it still is behaving the same way. I have unlicensed and uninstalled then reinstalled and relicensed and still no luck. I have made a back up to a CD, unlicensed and uninstalled and deleted all zmud files. Downloaded and reinstalled and relicensed successfully with the problem still remaining.

I am obviously missing something pretty elemental here but unfortunately I am technochallenged for the most part.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Lennie
Tkwon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:54 am   

I get an error at the initializing stage and it says "the specified procudure could not be found."
Tkwon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:45 am   

in the main module part that is
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:16 pm   

HollyC,
Since you aren't getting any useful responses here, I'd recommend direct email with Zuggsoft.

If the zMUD splash screen shows up at all, the eLicense program has completed its operation and your problem is with zMUD. If the splash screen doesn't show up, you probably have an eLicense problem.

Tkwon,
You probably have an MDAC or JET problem. See the sticky topics or the FAQ for links to the page which discusses them. Your problem is NOT the same as Holly's and you shouldn't try to take over her topic.

Most scripts in this forum are written for Command Line entry.
Don't even open the Settings Editor unless its use is specified or obvious.
HollyC
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:09 pm   Fixed, at least on my end :)

I can't guarantee this will work for anyone else, but it worked for me.

I had been able to start up ZMud again after rebooting my comp. Obviously, I don't want to have to do that every time the problem cropped up again, where the splash screen would disappear after only a split second and the program wouldn't continue loading. Yesterday it cropped up again and I was exasperated to the core. But after I did ctrl-alt-delete to close down another program that had stopped responding, I switched from the tasks tab to the processes tab and noticed something odd. ZMUD.EXE still appeared in the list of processes.

I highlighted it and clicked END PROCESS, waited about five minutes and ZMud loaded normally again. I must have attempted to restart it a bit too soon after the last time I closed it down and it hadn't been cleared from the list of processes in Windows XP Task Manager. This caused the executable ZMUD.EXE to get stuck in the list of processes and it wouldn't start properly because the executable was already open.

I don't anticipate this little snafu giving me further problems. If it does, I'll contact Zuggsoft directly.

Holly
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: