Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Dorrin
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:58 pm   

zMUD crashing to desktop on Win98SE

I am fortunate enough to be able to mud from work and have installed zMUD on my work computer to do so. Since the upgrade to the 7.0x series, I've had numerous problems with zmud running out of resources (or so I assume) and crashing to desktop.

I'm currently running 7.04 and keeping 2 connections active with tabbed windows and a 3rd window for capturing tells/immtalk/ooc/etc. As part of my job, I have to use several memory intensive programs, including Access, Outlook, and Word, as well as IE and a separate telnet program to access our internal database systems. The programs I use haven't changed since the upgrade, only zmud, and the problem did not exist prior to the upgrade.

Just for informational purposes, I'm running this on a Dell system (not my choice) with 128 MB of RAM running Win98SE with all service packs and security upgrades. The Office system is all Office '97 and IE is version 6.0.

Again, I didn't have this crash to desktop problem prior to upgrading to the 7.0x but now I'm experiencing this 2 and 3 times a day, often requiring a reboot after each.
DeathShadow
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:41 am   

Perhaps try to relicense zMUD.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:43 am   

Just to be clear, does this happen with 7.04 too? 7.04 was supposed to fix a resource leak that was present in previous versions.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:33 am   

Try these steps and see if they help {gathered from various posts}

UNLICENCSE
UNINSTALL
UPDATE MDAC to 2.8
REBOOT
UPADATE JET to 4.0
REBOOT
REINSTALL ZMUD
RELICENCSE
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:45 am   

Are there any messages popping up when it crashes?

Maybe try disabling triggers for a day just to make sure one of your settings isn't causing a problem.

Edit: upon rereading initial post saw that 7.04 was the active version.
Dorrin
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:38 am   

First, to answer Kjata, yes, I'm running 7.04.

Second, an error does pop up about ZMUD.EXE causing an error, but atm I can't remember what the error is. I believe it's a General Protection Fault, but I'm not positive. It's not a BSOD, just a gray box that shows up and when I click OK, I'm back at desktop or whatever window was behind zMUD.

Third, I'll try updating the MDAC and the JET, but I'm 99% certain I got an email from the IT helpdesk a while back saying something about my machine now reading like I'd installed XP after the last time I upgraded the MDAC and JET, so unless these came out within the last year, I am updated.

As for triggers, one window has nothing bit #cap and #gag triggers going. The other window has the exact same settings I run at home though I do have WinXP and 512MB of RAM on my home system.

And with the relicense, *laugh* I've suffered the dreaded 23,0 error twice, so I've had to relicense a couple of times.

I'll let you know about the MDAC and JET updates tomorrow.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:21 pm   

If MDAC and Jet doesn't work, try sending an e-mail to [url="mailto:zugg@zuggsoft.com"]zugg@zuggsoft.com[/url] and tell Zugg about it.
Dorrin
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:28 pm   

The fix Nexala suggested did not work. I upgraded both the MDAC and the Jet to the most recent versions for my OS (Win98SE) and still experienced crashing.

Today's crash was after less than 2 hours of activity and the error box was blank aside from an OK button that, when clicked, completely closed the program. I had to close both Outlook and Word to be able to open IE to report this problem.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:10 pm   

This shouldn't have anything to do with your license or eLicense. Once zMUD is running, it doesn't care about eLicense.

It's more likely that this problem is caused by one of your triggers running in the background. If you are using a loop or something like #WAIT and it is taking a long time, then your trigger stack can be building up.

Follow the suggestion that Mr_Kent made and turn off your triggers. If this fixes it, then turn your triggers on one by one to determine which one is causing the problem.

It's also possible you have a corrupted settings file, so you can try following the instructions given in the Migration Guide in the Support Library to clean it out.

Also, check your Memory preferences and make sure it is not set too high for your system.
Dorrin
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:27 am   

Based on the email I received from Zugg (his post here didn't match what he'd sent me - I think he may have cross-posted?), I uninstalled 7.04 and reinstalled the last 6.xx version I had on the machine. I'm now running 6.67(beta) and haven't had any problems since the downgrade.

Just a word to anyone still running Win98. Upgrade. Get XP. If I could have upgraded my work machine, I would have long ago, but they won't let me do lots of things I want to it. I even volunteered to install RAM I'd taken from my PC at home when I upgraded to DDR RAM, but they have this picky rule about things like that. Guess that means no soundcard either.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: