Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:23 pm   

Multiple Characters on one Mud

How do we keep the data files seperate for each character?

For example, I have a trigger that on a DISARM I pick up the weapon and re-wield it. My mage does a dagger, the fighter a sword and dual-wields another item. Currently the all my triggers and aliases are the same for both and I have to edit each one when I swap characters that I am playing.
merinov

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:25 pm   

something I did was set up classes each with the name of the character I played, inside each class folder, I would set up the triggers, aliases and anything set specifically for that character in that class. When connecting to the mud, I make sure all those classes are off, and manually turn the one I want/need on. You could easily automate it...but you'd have to trigger off stuff in the login
Yvves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:38 pm   

Bah. Just make a copy of your connection (right click, copy, then paste). Under session id in prefs, name it something different, and put Charname on Mud/Mush as Icon caption. Now log your old one, go to settings, save as, fighter (or whatever, I use the char's name.) It should ask you to set as default. If it doesnt, do it anyway. Now, open the new one, say, for your mage. Go up to settings, load fighter, save as mage, set as default. There will now be two different settings files, one for fighter, and one for mage. Edit and enjoy.

:P
Latent
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:05 pm   

awesome, I was looking for the exact same thing
RobMacAF
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:59 pm   

For DR I use something like this

#CLASS {Login} {enable}
#TRIGGER {~[*~]} {
inf
}
#TRIGGER {Name: (%w)} {
exp
#class %1 1
#name %1
#class Login 0
}
#CLASS 0

I will explain line by line what it does
#CLASS {Login} {enable}

#TRIGGER {~[*~]} {
This gets the opening room name, In DR the room name is something like [Bobs boat house, Here]. This just lets the script know you connected to the game

inf
This brings up the information about the character, specially what his name is. It arrives in the format of something like this:
Name: Brolt Brieghton Race: Gnome Guild: Thief

}
#TRIGGER {Name: (%w)} {
This captures his name from the info command above as %1 to use in the script

#class %1 1
This sets the class/folder that is the same name as this character to on.

#name %1
This sets the name command to the one you are using right now

#class Login 0
}
#CLASS 0

This just finishes up the trigger by turning off this login script

To make this work all you would have to do is make a folder for each of your characters that is named the same thing as your first name in game, this is coming from DR. Then set those folders to Disable Class when connecting to mud. That will make sure all the character folders are turned off, and the script above will then turn on the one for the character you are playing.

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: