Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:29 am   

Zmud is very slow when Mapper mode is on

Hi,

I am running the latest version of Zmud on WinXP. The preformace is good normally, but degraded tremendously once the mapper is on on Mapper mode. Is there any way to improve this situation?

Thanks in advance.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:15 am   

Zugg has been working feverishly on this. The speed and performance is greatly improved in all those areas for the next public version. Currently all the changes are being beta tested. I would suggest you make sure your MDAC/JET40 is up to date (see the page http://www.zuggsoft.com/data ) and then just wait for the next public version.
hatespyware
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:05 pm   

That is really great news to hear. This problem has detracted so much from my mud enjoyment that I rarely play anymore. I _know_ all my jet/mdac stuff is in order, and all the help I have been able to get on the topic just repeatedly points fingers at Microsoft or flatly denies that a problem exists.

Still, hearing that Zugg has something cooking is great news. I hope that any progress gleaned will aid all zMud users, not just zmapper owners. Personally, I feel frustrated that Zugg has splintered off into a separate mapper. I would never have bought zMud had it not been for the mapper, and now to see that he's unbundling it is frustrating. Not exactly inline w/ what I expected from the "free upgrades forever" sales pitch that sold me the original software. I think it was Scott McNeally of Sun Micro who said that the only ways to make a profit in software are bundling and unbundling, but I hate to see Zugg leave zMud in its current, admittedly broken, state in order to devote more resources to splinter projects geared toward generating additional revenue. I mean, what's next - to divert all future scripting developments into separate products available for purchase?

Interestingly, I've recently seen some posts like http://www.zuggsoft.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13422 which seem to indicate that some of the mapper problems are definitely _NOT_ related to MDAC/JET, which is consistent with my longtime belief.

"I am not going to officially support Windows XP in it's current form." -Zugg

"if you insist on using Windows XP, you are on your own." -Zugg

"People only post to the forums when they have a problem and there have been only a few dozen people who have been experiencing this WinXP problem with MDAC." -Zugg

"I have not tested these versions [current MDAC] directly, but Rainchild seems to indicate that they work and he doesn't get any speed problems with them." -Zugg

"Other than waiting for Microsoft to fix these issues with WinXP, there is little I can do." -Zugg

"Actually, at this point I don't want to hear any whining about anything, but that's just because I'm in a bad mood." -Zugg

"Microsoft should not be able to make money on crap like this." -Zugg (referring to Windows XP!)

“If zExplorer sales continue to improve and zMUD sales continue to decline, then that's an obvious message to me telling me to work more on zExplorer and less on zMUD.” –Zugg
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:44 pm   

quote:
Personally, I feel frustrated that Zugg has splintered off into a separate mapper. I would never have bought zMud had it not been for the mapper, and now to see that he's unbundling it is frustrating. Not exactly inline w/ what I expected from the "free upgrades forever" sales pitch that sold me the original software.

I mean, what's next - to divert all future scripting developments into separate products available for purchase?

Hmm. Zugg is not unbundling anything. Had he not had an interest in running/playing RPGs, I doubt he'd have started the Zmapper project. He would have started some other project to be sure; it seems that whatever he enjoys doing, he tries to improve.

Zmud has all the functionality and then some from when he started the other projects, including the mapper. The fact that zMapper can be used as a plugin, that it uses a MSAccess db format, and is being developed alongside Zmud means that we gain whatever improvements/features they share in the code and can access the map from a variety of scripting languages, rather than having Zugg call the mapper finished at whatever state of usability he grows bored of it.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:20 pm   

The mapper is not being unbundled into a separate product. Please inform yourself correctly before going off in a rant. zMapper is a separate product from zMUD's mapper. I suggest you go read up a bit on it, and if you still don't understand how they differ, make a post so someone can clear it up for you (although at this time I'd prefer not to answer a post from you, I'm sure someone else would.)

Anyway, since the thread has gone off topic, and I believe Vijilante's reply answers the original question, I'm locking it. My apologies to Rose for locking it, but hatespyware left me no choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: