Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Deavr
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:36 am   

Ignoring extra room information with automapper.

A typical room from my diku mud in brief mode looks like:

A foul, twisting alley

[Exits: east west]

<758/774hp 845/973m 605/844mv 15113tnl 6 AM standing>

By using auto configure in full mode with discriptions capture then setting the mud to brief I can happily map lots of rooms with blank descriptions. (good thing) I esentially have two of every room, one with and one without description stacked on top of each other, this works well for me.

My problem is my mud sometimes places important information between the Name and the exits even in brief mode, this information is temporary and even rare.
Example:

A ruined wall of the city

You notice a tangle of sticky webs strung from point to point.

[Exits: north east]
Vanar is here.
You stop short abruptly as you notice the sticky webs strung all over this place.
Looking carefully, you wisely plan a path that avoids the thicker strands.

<758/774hp 845/973m 603/844mv 15113tnl 6 AM standing>

This is of the format:

Room Name
(blank line with no space)
Temporary info that I don't want to map.
(blank line with a space in it)

What happens is the mapper creates a new room of name "Temporary info that I don't want to map."

Now I tried to #nomap these lines with something like:
<pre>
#TRIGGER {$The forest around you roars with the fury of several wildly blazing fires!$} {#NOMAP}
</pre>
But #nomap does not seem to work with multiple lines. Zmud 6.16. Don't talk to me about mapping 6.62 tried that :(

I tried it with a #gag -1 to gag the line before as well.

When I try to #nomap the crap and gag the blank line it looks great on the screed but the mapper does not pick it up at all, I tried to reconfigure it offline without success. These information lines are rare enough to make it hard to run autoconfigure online and common enough for me to go to all this trouble.

Things worth knowing:
1. The blank line before the temporary crap never has a space character in it.
2. The blank line before the exits always has a space in it.
3. There are a fairly small number of these temporary info lines (about 10) and I don't mind having a seperate trigger for all of them.
4. The info lines all end with a punctuation mark (. or !), a fair number of room names do to.
5. There can easily be more than one info line. They will all be preceded by a blank line with no space in it.
6. I need to see the temporary crap at some point but it can certainly be abbreviated or changed.

Help?
Deavr
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:17 am   

I'm not much good at mapping, but nobody else has answered. Try this.
#TR {$} {#NOMAP}
#TR {^The forest around you roars with the fury of several wildly blazing fires!} {#NOMAP}
#COND {^ } {#NOMAP} {Within|Param=1}
Deavr
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:31 am   

Thanks for suggestions Smile

But I'm using 6.16 so no conditions. I'v tried mapping on 6.62 and with all the respect in the world to Zugg ... it bites .

I tried the first two triggers and it will not detect a room at all. I tried reconfiguring but that got me in a whole heap of mess.

I tried just the {$} trigger to ignore blank lines and this creates a room with roomname:
Desc:
BlankLineWithSpace

This is not all that bad and I might fall back to this, and if I turned off descriptions and reconfigured has a slim change of solving my problem.

If I read the 6.62 help file correctly the third trigger appends the second trigger with a sub trigger that will #unmap a line that starts with a space if it is within one line of the main part of the trigger.

I can't understand why the BlankLine and StuffIWantToIgnore triggers alone will not work.
Going back to my example of a room:

RoomName
BLankLine
StuffIWantToIgnore
LineWithOneSpace

If the first two triggers #unmap BLankLine and StuffIWantToIgnore that should leave for the mapper:

RoomName
LineWithOneSpace

Which should work but doesn't.

I ran a debug test to check that both lines where being unmapped by adding #echo lines after the #unmap in each of the first two triggers. An offline result was:

e

unmapping a blank line
unmapping the web line

(Invis) Vanar is here.
You stop short abruptly as you notice the sticky webs strung all over this place.
Looking carefully, you wisely plan a path that avoids the thicker strands.

unmapping a blank line
<240/774hp 770/973m 641/844mv 15113tnl 7 AM standing>

This created a room named "unmapping the web line" with no description. This exactly what I would expect. Note the blank line with the space in it was NOT unmapped.
This leads me to believe that the #unmap command does not close the gap between the [exits: ddsfs sdrfs] and the real room name. i.e. the mapper does not see the exits and the room name seperated by just one line or one paragraph apart.

I tried a permenant seperate trigger to unmap {^ } to emulate your suggestion, but this did not detect a room at all.
I tried just the {$} and the {^ } this worked to a degree greating a room with the correct name but the StuffIWantToIgnore line as the discription but as expected NO blank line with a space following in the description.

So i'm stumped on how to get it to unmap the StuffIWantToIgnore line and still detect the roomname as one paragraph before the exits.

I also tried the {^ } unmap and the {StuffIWantToIgnore} #unmap without the {$} but this also did not detect a room at all.

Any more ideas?
Deavr
Interitus
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:11 am   

Hi, Deavr!
Do room names in your MUD have unique color? If yes, you can just manually tag name, exits and prompt, and prevent automapper from parsing text.
Deavr
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:21 am   

Thanks for the thought but unfortunately no, and these days more and more of them are not even in Proper Case. It's a deliberate conspiracy I tell you to make mapping difficult. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: