Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Yourmom
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:55 pm   

Capturing Lines with Timestamps

I currently use a trigger to capture lines from my mud such as "abc tells you blah blah blah" to a window called "Tells" and lines like "abc oocs blah blah blah" to a window called "ooc". I wanted to add timestamps, and I have managed to make the trigger add a timestamp everytime it captures. The problem is, the timestamp appears on the line AFTER the captured text. Not only is this ugly and harder to read, it also takes twice as many lines up, and in a long mud session, that's not a good thing.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make it so it appears as:
hh.mm.ss: abc oocs blah blah blah

Instead of:
abc oocs blah blah blah
hh.mm.ss

Thanks everyone!
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:19 pm   

Try posting the triggers you already have. Basically, if you are using #CAPTURE, you are going to have to use #WINDOW or execute a #SH command in the other window.

Kjata
Yourmom
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:31 pm   

My trigger text is:
tells you

It returns the value:
#echo Time:%time( hh:nn:ss)
#CAP 2 tell

I'm not sure how to use the #win command since I don't know how to put long strings (more than a word) in variables.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:00 pm   

This should do it:
#TR {tells you} {#CAP tell}
#AL atconnect {#WIN tell;:tell:#TR {*} {#SUB {%time(hh:nn:ss) %trigger}}}

You'll need to reconnect to your MUD for the second trigger to take effect.

LightBulb
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:54 am   

When you want to work with long strings you simply surround them with some sort of bracket or quotes.

"this is a test of the %1 system"

The double-quotes are used in the same fashion as the curly brackets, but in general quoted text is not parsed (note that some commands will still let things within quotes get parsed). In places where you cannot use double-quotes, single quotes should work equally well.

#trigger {@oldmessage} {#sub "@newmessage"}

This trigger SHOULD replace whatever text was in @oldmessage with the phrase "@newmessage".

{this is a test for @name}
These curly brackets are used exclusively for grouping data together into one entity that you desire to have parsed, or evaluated to a literal form.

#trigger {@oldmessage} {#sub {@newmessage}}

This trigger will replace whatever was displayed on-screen in @oldmessage with the data in @newmessage (the variables' data does not change in any way).

[this is a test for @name]

These square brackets can probably be interchanged with the curly brackets, but that's not usually how they are used in relation to strings. Instead, you use them to force ZMud to evaluate the given expression contained within BEFORE it does any other parsing on that line. I don't much use these square brackets in this way, so I have no clue what a good example might be.

HTML brackets (greater-than symbol and less-than symbol)

The HTML brackets, in relation to strings, are used to force expansion. What this means is that any and all parsing action is executed for that particular expression before it gets done for the rest of the line. Again, I don't use the HTML brackets very much this way.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Yourmom
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:42 am   

Thanks for all the responses...

Lightbulb, your trigger worked for tells, but I can't make it work for my other similar triggers like ones that trigger on "ooc" and "replies" and "questtalks" and stuff like that. How do I modify it to make it work for those too?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:00 am   

Make sure the desired window is open when you connect (that's what the #WIN commands are for), then just add another line to the alias for each window where you want the trigger. I assume you already have the triggers to do the captures.
#AL atconnect {#WIN tell;:tell:#TR {*} {#SUB {%time(hh:nn:ss) %trigger;#WIN OOC;:OOC:#TR {*} {#SUB {%time(hh:nn:ss) %trigger;#WIN replies;:replies:#TR {*} {#SUB {%time(hh:nn:ss) %trigger;#WIN questtalks;:questtalks:#TR {*} {#SUB {%time(hh:nn:ss) %trigger}}}

LightBulb
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: