Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
hellchyldx

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:59 pm   

Idle Timout... Where can I change it?

I've been looking all over zMUD... I can't find a way to change the time or remove the idle time... can someone please tell me where I can find this?
hykou
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:18 pm   

if you are asking what i think, getting kicked off the mud for idleing?, then set a ticker to do something... such as scan, say (what ever), or anything else really. some muds may not accept ceratin commands for the ticker
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:50 pm   

Timeout values are controlled by your Connection preferences. The timeout for IP Address lookup is controlled by the values on the IP Address Lookup page. The timeout for each connection attempt is controlled by the Connection Timeout value on the Reconnection page.

I don't think the timer for the Connection Timeout begins counting until you've received (or input) an IP Address, so a connection attempt won't timeout while you're waiting for the DNS server.

zMUD doesn't have an idle timeout to close the program or disconnect from a MUD.
hellchyldx

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:29 pm   

The mud doesn't automatically kick idle players. I'm idling out because of something in the mud, it has nothing to do with connecting to the mud...
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:02 pm   

quote:
The mud doesn't automatically kick idle players. I'm idling out because of something in the mud

So Which is it If your getting disconnected from the mud and the mud doesn't kick idle players ask an immortal to look into it.

But in any instance this alarm trigger should stop it

#HELP ALARM
#HELP CR

Here is what I use on my mud to keep from idling out
#ALARM "IdleTrig" {+10} {#CR}

Simply put it sends a carriage return every 10 minutes.
rebeldev
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:00 am   

There are several reasons why you may be getting an idle timeout such as this. In most cases though the alarm trigger trick should be a decent workaround for it. If you run a firewall of any kind (broadband router possibly?) or any type of NAT setup then the firewall is most likely the culprit. On linux firewall setups you can adjust the timeout using iptables or ipchains, on other setups you will need to seek documentation from the firewall manufacturer. It may also be a winsock problem however I'm not aware of any version of windows that once patched has a faulty winsock in this manner. One thing is certain though, it is not a Zmud specific problem, you will have the same problem with any winsock application that has an idle connection for that long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: