Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Kaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:19 am   

MCCP not kicking in.

Hello, the mud I play offers MCCP support, but for some reason it rarely works for me when I connect. When I check View>Preferences>General>Emulation, the Mud Compression (MCCP) under Telnet Options is ticked. Checking statistics reveals that 0 bytes have been compressed. I know a couple of people who connect to the same mud with Zmud and their compression works fine. I've tried upgrading to 6.67 but no joy there either. I kinda know when it won't be working - when I log on for the first time the mud mostly replies with That character does not exist. Please choose 'Establish a new character.' My second attempt goes through ok, but with no compression. Just to throw a spanner in the works, very occasionally the compression does fire up, although I have no idea what I do differently and I haven't been able to reproduce it with any success. Any ideas what I should be trying?
Cheers,
Kaine
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:22 pm   

I looks to me like the MUD is mistaking zMUD's response to the MCCP negotiation as the login name. To better explain what might be happening, let me first explain what is suppose to happen.

Server: IAC WILL COMPRESS2
Client: IAC DO COMPRESS2
Server: IAC SB COMPRESS2 IAC SE
(Begin compressed stream)
Any other telnet option negotiation

Now, a couple of things could be happening.

Server: What is your name?
Client: Joe

In the above example, the MUD querries zMUD about MCCPv2, but instead of waiting for a response, it continues on to ask for your name. Since IAC DO COMPRESS2 is the first response it receives from the client, it interprets that as the login name. However, if the MUD has properly implemented telnet option negotiation, then this shouldn't happen.

The only other thing I can think of right now is if you were using the atconnect alias to input your name/password (many people do this), then this might be what is happening.

Server: (not expecting Joe - throw it away)
Client: Password
Server: What is your name?
Server: (received Password)
Server: That player does not exist. Please choose 'Establish a new character.'
Server: (received IAC DO COMPRESS2)
Server: That player does not exist. Please choose 'Establish a new character.'
Server: Password for Joe?
Client: Password
Server: Welcome!

Does that make sense at all? What I am trying to say is, if you are using the atconnect alias to log into the MUD, then that's probably what is causing your problem.
Kaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:12 am   

It's a great explanation, the only problem is I log in manually :(
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:37 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Kaine

Could you write down which mud this is? Port & hostname would be nice. Thanks.
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:28 pm   

quote:

Doh!

I'm with Rorso on this one, if you could supply us with the hostname (or ip) and port, then we could try to reproduce your problem, take a look at the packets going to and from the MUD, and perhaps figure out what is causing the problem.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:37 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Carabas

quote:

Doh!

I'm with Rorso on this one, if you could supply us with the hostname (or ip) and port, then we could try to reproduce your problem, take a look at the packets going to and from the MUD, and perhaps figure out what is causing the problem.

Actually you are probably correct Carabas but we missed one point: lagg. Sometimes packets are smashed together while traveling through the net. The MUD might wait for a single packet containing the telnet negotiation code and expect the answer to come before it sends out the login prompt.

It is sad to see so many bad implementations of MXP/MCCP. For some time now we've seen muds waiting for the negotiation and failing on clients not having telnet negotiation support etc. All data to the mud should be examined for telnet negotiations - always. It is then up to the server to remove them or interpret them where needed.
Kaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:26 pm   

Its Legendmud - mud.legendmud.org, Port 9999. 66.37.172.234
It's a great place, please come visit! Thanks for persevering,
Kaine
Kaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:29 pm   

With a bit more experimenting Ive hit on a method to get MCCP to start working reliably. I connect to the mud, but dont log in - entering 0 (twice) to exit the mud. Zmud disconnected dialog box comes up, and I click Offline. From File, I then reconnect. The mud's login options still come up twice, but I can enter my character name first go without the mud telling me 'that character does not exist.' Into the game and viewing statistics reveals that MCCP is now clicking along nicely. Any ideas how I can get this to happen without all that rigmarole?
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:26 am   

Ok going over this with Kaine his problem was the atconnect alias it was sending a blank %char after he deleted that Mccp Worked fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: