Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Nash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:16 am   

zMUD won't start, eLicense not found

A variation on the old "zMUD won't start" complaint. No matter how I uninstall/reinstall zMUD, it won't start.

I am trying to install zMUD 6.62 on a Windows 2000 system (all system updates are current). I can not get zMUD to start. I checked around and found the comments about the LicCtrl service. Yes, it was off. I started the service, and set it to start automatically. No joy.

Whether I double-click on the zMUD executable icon, or try running zMUD from the Start menu shortcut, the result is the same: nothing. There is no response, error message, nothing.

The really wierd thing is that there is NO evidence whatsoever of eLicense on the machine after the installation. It is not in the Explorer as indicated in the docs, and I can't find it anywhere on the system.

Any ideas? Any other services that must be running that I may have to look at?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:19 pm   

After you started the LicCtrl service and set it to Automatic, does it stay enabled each time Window start?

Does eLicense not appear in Control Panel also?

Try also unistalling zMUD and deleting the folder left behind (after making backups of any files that you do not wish to loose). Then, try installing zMUD again.

Also, you might try running the eLicense Unistaller found in the eLicense FAQ. After that, try reinstalling zMUD again.
Nash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:36 pm   

Kjata, thanks.

Interesting twist -- I had not bothered trying the eLicense uninstaller because I couldn't see eLicense anywhere. But I ran it anyway on your advice, uninstalled zMUD, deleted the folders, cleaned the registry, and reinstalled zMUD.

Now the zMUD splash screen comes up, and I can **finally** see eLicense in the Control Panel. Woo hoo. Life is Good(TM).

Of course, now I have a different issue. :-) It turns out I had forgotten that I had installed an earlier eval copy of zMUD (6.16) on this machine, and I had uninstalled it without unlicensing it first. So now eLicense says the eval period has expired and I can't eval the newer version before I buy it.

Oh well, such is life. At least that point is covered explicitly in the eLicense FAQ, so I understand it.

Thanks again. Now if I can just find that credit card...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: